Chuck Young

Mini lathe recommendations

There is a lack of saltwater blanks on the market. I am thinking of buying a mini lathe for turning some blanks. Tried the search feature, but info was 6 years old. What features are most important. Five speed, full variable speed? Any recommended brands or sales I should know about? Basic tools? Any video links I should watch.

Really going to come down to what you are wanting to do.   As far as knocking out fishing lures every year for you to fish and a some to sell I would skip the low dollar offerings.  No need to get a full size lathe and duplicator either in my opinion if not turning out numbers.   It isn't very difficult to make a  pattern and make replicates. 

I have owned two lathes and have used many of the other "midi" lathes.  While you don't have to drop a lot of money starting out in my opinion a lot of difference when it comes to overall user experience and nothing worse than dropping a few hundred on junk.   Crap tools are about the worst investment a guy can make but yet we.....     I have used Rikon, Jet, Grizzly, HF, Craftsman (pen lathe), and Delta.   Variable speed the way to go. 

The Craftsman (I own) is a toy and isn't a fair comparison with the others.  I did not like using the HF but would take it over the Craftsman any day to the increased power and swing.  The Grizzly was very similar to the HF (many very similar knock offs just difference in quality control and specs of parts). The Grizzly lathe was smoother and less issues but not by much.  The two Grizzly lathes I used just felt more "solid" than the HF in operation and the tailstock live centers (cheap enough) seamed to be better than those I have used on various HF lathes but may not be indicative. The Rikon (especially now),  Jet, and Delta are hands down superior products to the others.   Of course cost is more upfront but you have a legit tool that will hold value and performs as intended.    I ended up with a Delta 46-460 as I just liked it better and was cheaper than the Jet I was looking at.   Delta lathe pretty typically comes in first in every tool comparison done over the years.  The Rikon has made some very interesting changes and probably very much worth giving a good look at now.  

For tools I started cheap as you will need to learn to sharpen and much rather eat up a Benjamin's Best (best value winner frequently) learning than higher end offerings. Replace with better quality stuff as you go.  Currently I just end up sharpening more.   I ended up buying one thinking hey maybe if I used it more...it collects a lot of dust.  I still would try another one just to make sure.

You still need to sharpen, turning tools, live centers, chuck if you want to do other stuff, etc... it adds up.   You should be able to find the HF lathe for 50 bucks on Craigslist rather easily.  Often come across very good lathes with various centers, chucks, rests, turning tools, etc.. for not a bad price either that will come in a good deal overall.  Shop vac and dust deputy (or similar) set up is very nice to have to collect fines and shavings.  Doesn't take too long to build up a pile of shavings when turning.   Depending on your need for other tools shop smiths pop up on craigslist for 350 and up (didn't like them either but would get one if I had limited space).

• Like 1