dsqui

Thread finish of choice

I'e recently started tying jigs using thread.  I' curious what everyone' go to is for finishing and sealing the thread.  I'e used super glue and head cement so far just curious if there are better options out there.

Also while I know alot of guys opt for wire this is not an option.  I can' get my skirts to stay or pop using wire on this paricular jig.

20180225_123831.jpg

Very nice jigs, what head is that?  As for thread finish, I use either Loctite super glue brush on when using silicone or rubber skirts and I use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear when I tie hair. The main reason is the clear nail polish leaves a very visible white residue when it dries on silicone.  The Sally Hansen's brand clear is what I prefer, it takes a little longer than other brands to get hard so it penetrates deep and so far I haven't had any thread failures.

• Like 2

To be honest there is no need to seal the threads. I whip finish 4 times by hand and do a couple of twist in the threads forming a loop, slide it over the head and tighten. I have done it for years and none of mine or my customers jigs here come untied. It works and your not paying for glue, fingernail polish, or any of that. Please try it, I think you will see it’s not needed.                                                 Edit: Unless it’s my big 1 oz hair jigs, then they get 4-5 coats of thinned Hard as Nails.I thin it so it wicks into the thread deeper.

Edited by J.Bowerman