ddl

any superchrome user here?

It does sound really good, and I will watch the videos on it in the future, but .......  I went to the web site.

http://www.superchrome.ca/superchrome.php

For the beginners kit, $299 US is a bit steep to experiment with, at least for me.  Also, just how "easy" is it.  The site says to have a professional clean booth, something I don't own or have access to.

Don't get me wrong, if it works, and if you can get the same number of lures out of this as you can with 8 oz of regular paint, then maybe.

Worse yet, it has its own clear, and I have no way to know if it is going to be good enough for our needs.  I do see that in their web site that they link into a guy that paints fishing lures, and that gives me hope.........

http://www.superchrome.ca/DIY-superchrome.php

Final thoughts, 

1. Primer is a urathene
  2. 1.2 to 1.4 mm gun tip for the primer
  3. 36+ hours for solvent to evaporate or several hours in a drying oven
  4. 0.8 to 1.0 mm tip for the chrome spray
  5. 72+ hours for solvent to evaporate or oven dry again
  6. 1.2 to 1.4 mm gun tip for clear coat
  7. 12 hours cure, or oven again.

Total, two different guns, 120 hours in drying times from start to finish.

I just don't have those abilities for my hobby use.

• Thanks 1

well now it sound like a real nightmare.it's too expensive and i don't have a paint gun.it always sound easy and magic with infomercial style vids.could be good for someone that is selling 300 plus  high priced cranks per season or someone that have tons of money to burn.not my case

tks

So I checked out a chrome place it's called vacuum plating on a plastic lure.   At 300.00 min. it would be 600 6" lures plus the cost of the lures.  1.00 per lure or less is 600.00 plus .50 plating =  1.50 per X 600 = $900.00, if you have a need for 600 chrome lures, I don't. This is only a rough guess. 

Wayne

Ok...so I've been experimenting with trying to get a chrome like finish on my lures for years.  I used the superchrome spray on chrome for a while but it tends to fade to a dark "black chrome " or  "black pearl" kind of finish.  Best results so far is silver plating but, even that is a bit of a pain in the caboose.   I've been buying my silver chemicals from overseas but lately found that the products from Angel Gilding are better and not "too much more expensive".   I calculated the cost per average size lure ( 3 1/2 inches) to be about 1 dollar per lure, give or take....

I have a youtube video of the silver plating process :

Here's some photos of my results:

20150706_201130-1.jpg

Getting started will set you back 2-3 hundred bucks american.  But the tough part is scaling down the spray gun for small stuff like lures.  The ongoing cost isn't too bad , comes out to about a dollar a lure, if nothing goes wrong.  Let's face it if I was trying to save money on lures I sure as heck would not spend hours and hours making them...

As far as the silver fading; it really doesn't.  It just has to be protected with the right clear coat.  It can yellow though...to prevent that you just add a tiny amount of violet tint to the clear.  I've been experimenting for a few years now and when it works ; you get an  amazing looking lure.  After all silver is the most reflective element on earth....

Its all about the satisfaction.....right?

By the way, I would love some feed back from fellow lure makers, I just started a YouTube channel  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS9izgLp6k7siMTMU21ZoNw

(I don't sell anything or promote anything)  It would be nice if you could tell me what you would like to see a video about.

• Like 2