What's up guys and gals Fischtales here Nicky Fisch out of the Phila tristate usa look forward to becoming familiar in this site and group but for now I guess I'll start with I am very confident in my hands and have constructed some improvised or otherwise homemade anything you can think of in my life it's kind of a passion of mine I all I am the type to spend 20 times what I could spend on something at the store to make a criticized equal but I would have it no other way I have constructed and engineered some awesome stuff andas  I'm an avid fisherman this is my first time into messing with plastisol ...I've done a lot of research and I'm fairly confident with it made some remelts  and some prototypes both in mold and finality but looking around the prices are all over when it comes to Raw plastisol hard or soft. I saw bait junkies is fairly decent when it comes to price for soft ...  Otherwise bait Plastics dot-com seems like it is probably the most cost-effective at least pretty good in the way of gallons anybody know of a little bit cheaper one that still half decent? I've got some awesome bait I'm going to make you will love I'll give you some prototypes to any who can assist me 2 a best cost-effective route I'll offer some return thank yous .... also wondering if anyone has and offering for alternative base material for carving or sculpting hard swimbaits and segmented swimbaits from? I thought about wet foam and expanded foam with some kind of shell on it cuz you could rasp it easy but I think PE insulation foam maybe a better route or the new Hilti spray foam as its skins extremely hard a bit more cellular inside but still hard as a rock and easily shaped. Closed-cell pink or green PE insulation foam is obvious option as well just figured I'd get a heads forward on any good man or woman considerate enough to guide me with some base materials I'm sure to impress in the end and always willing to help anyway I can. If there are any elders on here who fancy fishing in general or and especially making lures who would consider any type of mentoring when it comes to skills being sharpened at the fishing game or making lures I would be honored. I'm 33 years old independent home contractor out of Delco got an old lady of 10 years kid slated due 7/5/18 and self employed home services contractor -FischCo Home Services & Remodeling... I hold personally a master's license in plumbing HVAC and electrical, as well as code competency certifications across the board for residential and Light commercial building code....Which I can attribute greatly to a few Elder mentors who took me under their wing years ago offering pointers and unbiased judgment which I consider to be the base opportunity that allowed me to establish myself professionally secure. I am very well intended to earn my opportunity in any case someone should feel they have anything to offer me in the way of knowledge or advantage personally and assure any assistance I can be in return professionally or personally I am glad to commit. Thank you in advance for any otherwise offered recommendation and by all means feel free to private message me with any regards to an opportunity which you can offer me education or criticism. Health and happiness my friends , look forward to becoming a regular with tackle Underground. I may know some of you I'm in a few local fishing communities Over The Wire. Keep them wet my friends look forward to a reply and especially you meant to work should that come out of this... as for fishing I consider myself well enough season to hang with some gangstas LOL I shouldn't let you down too bad hehe haha

Welcome!

Honestly, that's a loaded question.  Cheapest is not always (in fact, rarely) the best, and what works for some guys might not work for others.

Lots of great brands out there now and hopefully other members will chime in with their opinions.    Personally, I used MF almost exclusively.  Again, definitely not the cheapest, but it worked for me.  Very consistent plastic.  There are newer brands that I never got a chance to try.

Good luck!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alsworms said:

Cheapest is not always (in fact, rarely) the best, and what works for some guys might not work for others.

I agree completely.  I tend to use Alumisol, but because I know how it will work each time, not for the cost.  I want to try others, but just can't seem to bring myself to do it.  In the past I got a hold of some real stinker of stuff, but they are out of business now.

6 hours ago, Fisch Tales said:

wondering if anyone has and offering for alternative base material for carving or sculpting hard swimbaits and segmented swimbaits from?

Check out the thread sticky at the top of the page on PVC.  I think it is the easiest to sculpt myself.  

6 hours ago, Fisch Tales said:

If there are any elders on here who fancy fishing in general or and especially making lures who would consider any type of mentoring when it comes to skills being sharpened at the fishing game or making lures I would be honored.

We have a whole group on this site that are always willing to help out in any way we can.  Just join in and enjoy.

Well my first glance back could have been worse... I just ordered one gallon of lure craft one gallon of bait Junkies see how it goes... Pictures to follow. My new question is mold silicone or rubber something with some Thin viscosity for detail my friends and all who replied I much appreciate it and as for the length apologies LOL speech to text for life hehe haha keep them wet my friends I look forward to getting to earning my keep

I will say that way soft Plastics I like action. I'll tell you one particular impressed moment lately was using a Yamamoto psycho dad. The Incorporated air pockets in the Pincers which stand at attention in a defensive sense giving an awesome presentation likened to a defensive crawfish I was blown away. I definitely want to learn how to incorporate air or lead so as to create natural action any assistance in that circumstance is much appreciated and if you haven't tried one get on one them psycho dad next level

Another thing I've always been interested in pursuing is finding a way to create side fins which will dance in place much like bream when it comes to still floating. So in that moment where you pause those side fins flutter. I've done extensive research in watching various game fish pursue bream and it almost always was pronounced in start with or by side flippers fluttering on a stall any thoughts on that

On 4/7/2018 at 2:40 PM, Fisch Tales said:

Another thing I've always been interested in pursuing is finding a way to create side fins which will dance in place much like bream when it comes to still floating. So in that moment where you pause those side fins flutter. I've done extensive research in watching various game fish pursue bream and it almost always was pronounced in start with or by side flippers fluttering on a stall any thoughts on that

Try incorporating some kind of jig skirt through your plastics...frog hair would probably be best due to how fine it is...or some kind of fur but to me the jig skirt in my mind would last longer

On 4/6/2018 at 7:14 PM, alsworms said:

Welcome!

Honestly, that's a loaded question.  Cheapest is not always (in fact, rarely) the best, and what works for some guys might not work for others.

Lots of great brands out there now and hopefully other members will chime in with their opinions.    Personally, I used MF almost exclusively.  Again, definitely not the cheapest, but it worked for me.  Very consistent plastic.  There are newer brands that I never got a chance to try.

Good luck!

There is a healthy variety of plastic and their unique characteristics lend themselves to different applications/uses.

Following is a list of many suppliers. Yes, pricing will be all over the place, but some baitmakers keep a supply of several brands on hand for different baits.

Many plastic suppliers will send a sample if you just pay shipping, so you can try different brands.

Good luck in your search.

BUSINESS NAME - URL - BRAND SOLD - SHIPS FROM

ALUMILITE - alumilite.com - THEIRS (ALUMISOL) - KALAMAZOO, MI 49007

BAIT PLASTICS - baitplastics.com - CALHOUN'S - LAWRENCEVILLE, GA 30046

BARLOW'S - barlowstackle.com - M-F - RICHARDSON, TX 75080

BASSTACKLE - basstackle.com - M-F - PHOENIX, AZ 85027

CALHOUN'S - calhounplastics.com - THEIRS (CALHOUN'S) - CALHOUN, GA 30701

CHEMIONICS - chemionics.com - THEIRS (CHEMIONICS) - TALMADGE, OH 44278

DO-IT - store.do-itmolds.com - THEIRS (ESSENTIAL) - DENVER, IA 50622

JACOB'S BAITS - jacobsbaits.com - M-F - TROY, OH 45343

JANN'S - jannsnetcraft.com - LURECRAFT - MAUMEE, OH 43437

LURECRAFT - lurecraft.com - THEIRS (LC) - ORLAND, IN 46776

LUREPARTS ONLINE - lurepartsonline.com - M-F / ESSENTIAL / LC - SPRINGFIELD, IL 62704

LUREWORKS (aka I SPIKE IT) - ispikeit.com - THEIRS - BROOKLET, GA 30415

MAKE LURE - makelure.com - ALUMISOL - KALAMAZOO, MI 49007

M-F - pouryourownworms.com - THEIRS (M-F) - FORT WORTH, TX 76117

OZARK TACKLE - ozarktackle.com - UNKNOWN - PEVELY, MO 63070

POLYSOL - polysolpolymers.com - THEIRS (POLYSOL) - FARMINGTON, MO 63640

ZEINER'S - zeiners.com - M-F - WICHITA, KS 67211

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/26/2018 at 6:47 PM, rixon529 said:

There is a healthy variety of plastic and their unique characteristics lend themselves to different applications/uses.

Following is a list of many suppliers. Yes, pricing will be all over the place, but some baitmakers keep a supply of several brands on hand for different baits.

Many plastic suppliers will send a sample if you just pay shipping, so you can try different brands.

Good luck in your search.

BUSINESS NAME - URL - BRAND SOLD - SHIPS FROM

ALUMILITE - alumilite.com - THEIRS (ALUMISOL) - KALAMAZOO, MI 49007

BAIT PLASTICS - baitplastics.com - CALHOUN'S - LAWRENCEVILLE, GA 30046

BARLOW'S - barlowstackle.com - M-F - RICHARDSON, TX 75080

BASSTACKLE - basstackle.com - M-F - PHOENIX, AZ 85027

CALHOUN'S - calhounplastics.com - THEIRS (CALHOUN'S) - CALHOUN, GA 30701

CHEMIONICS - chemionics.com - THEIRS (CHEMIONICS) - TALMADGE, OH 44278

DO-IT - store.do-itmolds.com - THEIRS (ESSENTIAL) - DENVER, IA 50622

JACOB'S BAITS - jacobsbaits.com - M-F - TROY, OH 45343

JANN'S - jannsnetcraft.com - LURECRAFT - MAUMEE, OH 43437

LURECRAFT - lurecraft.com - THEIRS (LC) - ORLAND, IN 46776

LUREPARTS ONLINE - lurepartsonline.com - M-F / ESSENTIAL / LC - SPRINGFIELD, IL 62704

LUREWORKS (aka I SPIKE IT) - ispikeit.com - THEIRS - BROOKLET, GA 30415

MAKE LURE - makelure.com - ALUMISOL - KALAMAZOO, MI 49007

M-F - pouryourownworms.com - THEIRS (M-F) - FORT WORTH, TX 76117

OZARK TACKLE - ozarktackle.com - UNKNOWN - PEVELY, MO 63070

POLYSOL - polysolpolymers.com - THEIRS (POLYSOL) - FARMINGTON, MO 63640

ZEINER'S - zeiners.com - M-F - WICHITA, KS 67211

Thank you for the list. New to the plastic lure making too. Very useful. 

1 hour ago, Saugerman said:

There is  another source Angling AI they sell Dead on Plastix. I don't know if they make it , or buy from another company. They sell 5 gallon for 99.95, plus shipping. I have not used it, don't know much about it. I just saw it on their site.

Baitplastics.com sells it in single gallons, vs 5 gallon buckets. It is also 99.99 for 5. They sell polysol which is what dead on sells. Not sure who edited the list, But baitplastics sells polysol, Ie they are polysol,  and carrys baitjunkys branded plastic as of the current time.

Edited by Baitjunkys
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2018 at 10:20 AM, Baitjunkys said:

Baitplastics.com sells it in single gallons, vs 5 gallon buckets. It is also 99.99 for 5. They sell polysol which is what dead on sells. Not sure who edited the list, But baitplastics sells polysol, Ie they are polysol,  and carrys baitjunkys branded plastic as of the current time.

Do they sell your plastic in one gallon jugs?

Is the glitter they sell yours as well?

I spent all last year experimenting with different types of plastics,and for my type of use,which is hand injected baits of all shapes and sizes,I am  now using dead on plastic in the med. formula.I was partial to do- it regular plastisol,but with the amount of re heats I do with hand injection,dead on has not  been effected at all.My only suggestion with using dead on plastic is that the soft is very soft,even for finesse baits,so I use med. almost exclusively.It is also very economical for the price.I spent a ton of hours on  a learning curve with soft plastics and wire baits,both technique and materials,so if I can help in anyway I am always willing.Welcome to the group!

• Like 1

I agree I’ve been at this about 6 yrs now and have found each “brand” type of plastic has its pros and cons . Baitjunkys(Calhoun’s ) medium which is a dry plastic is good tough plastic great for grubs and small swimbaits . Now if we go the stick bait route mnf gets used  super soft which is prefect for me only draw back if you want to call it that it exudes oil over its life which I’m ok with.  To each his own . There really is no wrong plastic it’s all about what your after.  Polysol(dead on) is great for holding its color reheat after reheat, which may play into the equation  like when using the very temperament  color white

Edited by wallyc14

5 hours ago, Kim Shaffer said:

Does the glitter from Walmart work with soft plastic pours? I was wondering if it can withstand the 360 degree heat or not?

I never had good luck with craft or store glitters.  They can't take the high heat and will curl up and turn brown.  Find some glitter that is polyester coated and you're good to go.