squigster

K Type Swimbait Laminate Problem

Hey All,

I have the K type 3.5 and 5" Basstackle swimbait molds and I am having trouble getting laminates to work well. I talked to someone today and they said I should be shooting  the mold at a 20 degree angle. I tried that and plastic ran out everywhere obviously. Not sure whether they really meant 70 degrees or not. I know the ribs are deflecting the plastic when its injected and the belly color which is white keeps showing up on the last section of the body on the back as I am assuming that the belly plastic is getting pushed somehow on to the back and partially covering the back color. The mold is a top injected  type mold with individual cavities. Can anyone shed some light on how I might overcome this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I shoot a lot of those. Sounds to me the temp is to high lower it to the 300-310 range. And when you shoot shoot slow not fast. That Sprue design make a spraying affect if you push fast.  When it is right you will see a triangle of the top color at the top of the back of the tail. 

• Like 1

Thanks Frank, do you keep both temps the same? of do you lower the belly temp less than the back? A guy told me I shouldnt shoot it vertically. I am not sure how else to do it without plastic running out of the sprue all over the table. Do you shoot them vertically? Im just curious as this is making me nuts! LOL Thanks for you help!

I have several of those BT molds and use BT injector.  I  have had some of the same problems.......I shoot vertically , keep temps as equal as possible , Now this is going to sounds odd and i don't really get why..... but I have better results when I inject pushing on the belly side of the injector.  I push steady and usually keep my plastic  around 330ish but as Frank said lower/slower might work better .  Im  gonna try that also.