thesheriff1

Glitter and Epoxy

Guys - I have been making some lures with Glitter layered into the epoxy for some time now, and keep running into a problem with "pinholes". I'd best explain it as small parts of glitter that I can't get fully covered in epoxy, and then when I paint over them they show as a small bump. I've tried to smooth them out, and even shave them off with little luck. I have just kept layering epoxy over until smooth, but then run into a bait that has 7+ coats of epoxy and I think that's a little excessive.

I'll try and get a picture after work...

What is the best way to get rid of/avoid these??

I apply a coat of water based clear on the lure and then sprinkle the flake on while it is still wet.Let the water base dry and  then apply epoxy top coat. I don't mix the flake with the epoxy.

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, thesheriff1 said:

Guys - I have been making some lures with Glitter layered into the epoxy for some time now, and keep running into a problem with "pinholes". I'd best explain it as small parts of glitter that I can't get fully covered in epoxy, and then when I paint over them they show as a small bump. I've tried to smooth them out, and even shave them off with little luck. I have just kept layering epoxy over until smooth, but then run into a bait that has 7+ coats of epoxy and I think that's a little excessive.

I'll try and get a picture after work...

What is the best way to get rid of/avoid these??

try smaller glitter, I use extra fine and smaller.

• Like 1

I agree with the size of the glitter as well. Sometimes I apply a thin coat of epoxy and sprinkle different colors in different areas. You can then get it to lay down with a disposable brush by poking it down. Hand sanding that coat after full curing removes bumps or protruding glitter. It will get scratched up, but the second coat of epoxy will clear it right up. Hope you can use some part of this. 

22 minutes ago, Chuck Young said:

I agree with the size of the glitter as well. Sometimes I apply a thin coat of epoxy and sprinkle different colors in different areas. You can then get it to lay down with a disposable brush by poking it down. Hand sanding that coat after full curing removes bumps or protruding glitter. It will get scratched up, but the second coat of epoxy will clear it right up. Hope you can use some part of this. 

how would glitter from dollar tree work 

I mix my extra fine glitter into my envirotex before I apply it.  Then put it on the lure and spread it out with a brush, just the same as if there were no glitter.  Extra fine glitter is the way to go (thanks Martha Stewart lol), and definitely sand it all smooth and flat after that layer.  It looks all scratched up, but the next layer (or 2) of clear etex with make it look great.   Also, do not touch with bare hands! I have learned the hard way there.   No skin oils right from when you are ready to start the finishing process until its a lure, keep it clean and wear gloves.   The only thing with my method is that glitter is going on the entire lure, not just the sides or where you want.  So, I will also be experimenting with some of these other methods.

image1.JPG

IMG_4055.JPG

• Like 1

I use the 12 variety pack of glitter at Walmart in the 1-1/4" (guessimate) tall salt shaker dispensers. I have no idea what size it is. But you likely have one near you and that will give you a reference. I would not go any bigger than that.

I also ordered some holographic and holographic chrome nail powder in .004". It has not come yet. You can apply that to tacky epoxy with a makeup brush. Or you can mix it in with the epoxy. 

6 hours ago, FishCandy said:

Hey Chuck, lemme know how that holo nail powder works out. I experimented with some of it for bucktails, but wasn't really happy with it. Too much work when I can just powder coat. I have to use the stuff for something, though...

I use the holo nail powder, it works like super fine glitter when suspended in epoxy, you can use it with nail polish for the holo look but I find it difficult to get the whole bait done before it finishes tacking. 

• Like 1