thesheriff1

Glitter and Epoxy

Here's an out there idea. Make a mini tornado machine and hang the lure in it! I made one once, using a vacuum cleaner motor and little metal oil drum. I used to put talcum powder in there and watch the tornado, (yeah, I'm easily amused!). Just recently, I built a dust separator for my shop vac, which is really the same thing. Just for grins I took a look around, and found this little vacuum pump that would be perfect for building a small tornado machine: https://www.amazon.com/Uniquers-Vacuum-Diaphragm-Compressor-Silicone/dp/B071GL3XXQ/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1524365122&sr=8-30&keywords=mini-vacuum  Mount a microwave platter motor to the chamber floor, run a wire through the lure and mount it standing up on the motor spindle. Sprinkle some dust on the chamber floor, and fire it up! You get an evenly coated lure, and the kids get a science project!

• Haha 1

I never mix it with my top coat...I either mix my glitter with a little poly acrylic..That way I can use different colors on different parts of the body ( such as green glitter over a brown back..and pearlescent on a white belly) You can do the same thing with spray on glitters..but I think applying with a brush gives you a bit more control.Using very fine glitter is a huge help.

When done glittering..apply your top coat..Nathan

• Like 3

Well after a long gap in this glitter discussion I thought I would weigh in. I had read the comments back in April and May, got some Hobby Lobby extra fine glitter and had some great success. I have been using a single coat of Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy. After initial mixing, I  thin it slightly with denatured alcohol. I Then mix in the glitter, which seems to break up any remaining bubbles and brush it on.  It has been coming out great, until last night when I used some Martha Stewart irresdescent sugar cube color (40-34052).  It seems to be extra fine, but it left little bumps on the lures. I couldn’t find any I specifications on that particular glitter so I dont know what that’s all about.

Any thoughts? Btw, I feel very silly writing about ‘glitter’ and Martha Stewart. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brick Steel said:

Well after a long gap in this glitter discussion I thought I would weigh in. I had read the comments back in April and May, got some Hobby Lobby extra fine glitter and had some great success. I have been using a single coat of Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy. After initial mixing, I  thin it slightly with denatured alcohol. I Then mix in the glitter, which seems to break up any remaining bubbles and brush it on.  It has been coming out great, until last night when I used some Martha Stewart irresdescent sugar cube color (40-34052).  It seems to be extra fine, but it left little bumps on the lures. I couldn’t find any I specifications on that particular glitter so I dont know what that’s all about.

Any thoughts? Btw, I feel very silly writing about ‘glitter’ and Martha Stewart. 

no doubt you are not in love with tupperware party ,and you don't own a single pink lure,just bubblegum one

we use paashe nu.5 tip.. the glitter from dollar tree. it comes in small cellophane packets. sprays sweet. just remember a ball bearing in bottle to keep it suspended..oh ya the glitter comes in a large variety and its 1.25... some use a worn number 5 tip and sand the opening larger works well also. old school.