rdhammah

Plaster of Paris issue

I have been playing around with making injection POP molds. made a Senko mold that came out good.  Tried to make a Kaylins curley tail. When I shot it, the bait was mush at certain areas of the body. Basically ruined the mold cuz I couldn't clean all of the plastisol out. I had sprayed DecoArt® Triple Thick Gloss Glaze Spray which is an acrylic material.  When I sprayed the mold,, the POP sucked it all up and it looked like I hadn't applied anything. I let it dry and reapplied - same thing. I am  thinking that the hot plastic may have melted the acrylic(?). Maybe did not let the POP dry enough?

Thoughts?

2 minutes ago, bryanmc said:

Most use 50 -50 elmers glue and water to seal pop.  The stuff you used could well have melted or you possibly didn't use enough, hard to say without being familiar with that product.  How long did you let the pop dry before you sprayed it?

3 days air dried in front of heating vent. thermostat set at 63*

I think your problem is the acrylic sealer.

All the acrylic clears I've tried as sealers for hard baits, from spray clears to concrete sealers, react to the plasticizer in soft plastic and melt.  I keep those baits separate from my soft plastics.

Find another sealer for your molds.

I mix some yellow carpenter's glue into my POP to make it stronger, so it holds details better, and seal my molds with two coats of D2T, thinned with denatured alcohol after they're thoroughly mixed.  

Last, I spray my POP molds with PAM cooking spray before each pour.

16 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I think your problem is the acrylic sealer.

All the acrylic clears I've tried as sealers for hard baits, from spray clears to concrete sealers, react to the plasticizer in soft plastic and melt.  I keep those baits separate from my soft plastics.

Find another sealer for your molds.

I mix some yellow carpenter's glue into my POP to make it stronger, so it holds details better, and seal my molds with two coats of D2T, thinned with denatured alcohol after they're thoroughly mixed.  

Last, I spray my POP molds with PAM cooking spray before each pour.

is this the D2T that you are talking about? http://www.rocatex.com/products-D2T-Readymix-Adhesive.php

you mix the carpenters glue directly into the POP before pouring? 

9 hours ago, rdhammah said:

is this the D2T that you are talking about? http://www.rocatex.com/products-D2T-Readymix-Adhesive.php

you mix the carpenters glue directly into the POP before pouring? 

No, the D2T I'm talking about is Devcon 30 minute epoxy, better known here as Devcon Two Ton (D2T).

I mix the two parts of the epoxy thoroughly, and then add some denatured alcohol to thin it, so the first coat is absorbed by the POP.  A second thinned coat completes the sealing of the mold.

I add the carpenters glue after I've mixed the POP, and before I pour, so it adds to the POP's strength.

Devcon 5 minute thinned is what I use.   I thin to water consistency and do a lot coats.   Have cut a mold open and have a few mm penetration.  After hundreds of molds haven't found anything better (elmers, modge podge, high engine spray paints, soaking it with PAM, mixing glue in the POP, etc...) in regards to what I am looking for in a home made mold.     Now I also switched along time ago from POP to Durham's.   Little more pricey but think the molds are a better quality in terms of durability. 

I think the Devcon or similar functioning epoxy gives the closest results to aluminum in respect to keeping detail and gloss.    Now any of it will work to be honest just depends on what you're end result/goal is and how well you have worked out the kinks and learned the tricks.    Find what works for you that gives you results that you are satisfied with.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 9:18 PM, rdhammah said:

that devcon 5 minute is more readily available. what do you thin it with?

I typically have used acetone.   It will often call discoloration in epoxies but typically has about the least amount of effect on other physical properties of the epoxy. 

As mentioned above other solvents can be used.  I used denatured alcohol on many of my first molds and used an assortment of organic solvents I am familiar with from work.

22 hours ago, rdhammah said:

tried a friend's mod podge. smelled like elmers glue. coated the mold. Let it dry overnight and then shot it. the mod podge peeled blistered and peeled off. Next time, epoxy. 

Modge podge can be bad about that if the mold isn't dried well before use.  I have had it peel off after long pouring sessions also.   

11 hours ago, Travis said:

maybe the mold wasn't dry enough. I had it in front of the heating vent for 2 days after separating the halves. 

Modge podge can be bad about that if the mold isn't dried well before use.  I have had it peel off after long pouring sessions also.   

As many have stated...

Sealers  that have worked for me on POP...

Epoxy (thinned) / Elmers / Dick Nites Lurecoat (had to use it before it hardended in can!!)

Things that didn't work well...

Rustoleum Clear Coat (acrylic) - baits just stick to that stuff  and not just POP molds / Epoxy (not thinned) - it sealed but ruined the finish as it cloged all small details.

Honestly - Epoxy and Elmers are super easy to find anywhere, cheap and once you find a method to apply you like - work just fine.

J.