FrogAddict

Thank you for the fluxing advice!

I just started pouring lead and I was a bit concerned with the impurities in the lead I was using. I jumped on good old TU and found some great advice on using wax and lighting the smoke on fire to clean the lead. Now I can't remember who posted it but it sure worked wonderfully! Thank you whoever you are!

This site has been so helpful in getting my small tackle business off the ground (Crow Wing Lures). It seems every time I run into an issue, the answer is only a TU search away.

I'm not making much money yet but I'm sure enjoying myself!

Thank you to all the TU contributors that are generous with their knowledge and wisdom!

• Like 1

FrogAddict, thank you for posting the success you've had from tips that the members here provided to you. It isn't required but it is a breath of fresh air and really helps others as they know the fluxing advice worked for you. It is also nice because you see guys come here and are quick to take the help and never give back and then show up 2 years later when they need help again. If everyone here did that then there wouldn't be a site like this, so I'd like to thank you again for giving back, it is greatly appreciated and posting results of what worked for you is giving back.  Good luck on your business venture and congrats on the success!!

• Like 1

FrogAddict, it is nice to see that some members search info and find it on there own , and take the bull by the horns and run with it. It is even nicer to see some guys come back and post their successes along with some appreciation to all the guys who contribute on here daily. No-one on TU expects any gratitude for sharing their knowledge, but it sure is nice to read about it once in awhile. Many guys on here answer any and all questions  regularly no matter how trivial day in and day out.  Thanks for posting, good luck on your future endeavors.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies fellas!

APdriver, I use paraffin wax now. I started with some old birthday candles but they didn't work that well. They would burn for a moment but then go out. 

Oh, here's a tip I forgot to mention in my original post. If you keep your fan on at low speed when you light your smoke, it'll keep the flames going for a longer period of time which helps carbonize the gunk (technical term). 

One more thing, I bought my lead from Rotometals but I went through Amazon. The price was about the same shipped and I needed it quick so it all worked out.

• Like 1

The guy that I received the original advice from said that when you set it on fire it works much better. but you have to stir when its on fire to bring the impurities to the surface. He's a metals guy who explained it much better than I can. It basically carbonizes that impurities I believe. 

I'll try to find the original thread and post it here.

Here it is, sagacious is the one who gave me the great advice!

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/13369-best-lead-melt-flux/

Edited by FrogAddict
  • Like 1