rdhammah

thermometer

8 hours ago, walleyeking said:

I like the probe style instant read better. The hottest part of the plastic is the center. You need to stir to get an accurate temp either way. And yes knowing temp is very important.

+1 on probe style.... you'll find the top surface of the plastic (where a IR thermo will measure) is much COOLER than the center if you are using a microwave to heat the plastic.... and it's a drastic difference in temperature.  I have the probe style - and use it to stir... you'll be amazed at the difference in temps you'll see when you place it (Top/Bot/Middle) of a heated cup of plastic.

I'd imagine if you're using a presto with a stirrer an IR could work as the plastic is constantly churned up.

J.

I tested  both once and found that they were very close to the same temp. Using the probe to stir and the ir gun to read temp at the same time. Ended up within a few degrees. I have something much better to stir with than a thin probe so I ended up using the ir gun all the time. But either way it is very important to know what the temp is. When you have problems most of the time you could ask and if someone asks what temp you can tell them. As for the quality question try the less expensive one not a big loss if it is not so good. And Walmart would probably return it after even months of use.  

• Like 1

My infrared  is close when plastic is around 215f but after that the readings are not close. The digital i use reads correct so i use it  most of the time. on my remelts i just heat it until it is liquid again, i stir until the lumps melt. Cub48

• Like 1