Munro76

Soft tails for swimbait

I have saltwater plastisol + hardener coming to attempt this same thing.  I made a POP injection mold.  I have used medium plastisol + hardener in the past for a tail on a glide bait and it worked with some success.  While the tail still had some "Flop" to it, the bait still swam great.  The tails did not deform when stored in a box or a bait wrap, if they did deform a little, a few minutes in the sun cured that.  While this worked,  I'm still looking for a stiffer or more ridged solution.  I have also purchased some Alumalite Flex 30 to try as well, but haven't used it yet. I have heard some guys have used silicone  from a tube. Let us know what you decide on and how it goes.

• Like 1

I have used silicone place mats bought off ebay  and a cooking/rolling mat found at a discount store. I found some place mats under $3 each. You get a couple of dozens fins out of 1 mat. They come in a lot of colors. Cut the fin out with scissors or a razor knife for crisper edges. Started  using them last year on a half dozen baits. Not a single one has ripped. Flexible and durable and give off a nice tail flap.  I recommend pre-punching a hole before putting the pin in in.  The mats are stretchy and it can be tough to get the pin to go through them. 

• Like 1