Koalas

Problem with incomplete pours PLEASE HELP

Hi I am new to the website and today was my first time ever pouring jigs. I ran into a problem with the large amount of incomplete pours that occurred.  I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can prevent the incomplete pours from happening. I only made a few complete jigs and I was frustrated as I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Today was the first time that the molds have ever been used. Is my mold too cold? Is my lead not hot enough? After putting in almost $600 into buying all the things to make jigs, I really hope I can fix this problem and make boatloads of complete jigs. I was also wondering how I should keep my lead. I use a Lee Production Pot 4 and I was wondering If I am supposed to empty out the lead out of the pot before I allow it to cool. The instructions that came with the pot would not open so I can't read them. I really appreciate help into solving my problem as I am very new to this and could use some guidance on how to make complete, high quality bass jigs. 

I uploaded two pictures of the incomplete jigs. As you can see there is missing lead where the skirt goes. This was the only place where lead would not fill in the mold. IMG_1640.JPG.ae17cc7bef60d88d3ceefd797641098b.JPGIMG_1639.JPG.4edb46c7edef93b6720cc11162f15d60.JPG

Looks like maybe cold hooks and a cold mold. Some of the usual tricks are

Place your mold on your pot while it heats up

If you can, increase the flow of lead.

Make sure your pot is hot.

Use Drop-out.

Flux your lead.

Heat your hooks and other inserts.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more tips.

3 hours ago, Basseducer said:

Looks like maybe cold hooks and a cold mold. Some of the usual tricks are

Place your mold on your pot while it heats up

If you can, increase the flow of lead.

Make sure your pot is hot.

Use Drop-out.

Flux your lead.

Heat your hooks and other inserts.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more tips.

2X

Pour four times without a hook first. (some lead might come out the bottom - so pour on a metal surface)

The  #1 thing for me is heating the hook when it is in the mold with a  Trigger Start Propane Torch (open mold)

1 second blast works every time, if I have a good flow of hot lead.

Blast 3 pours in a row, then  try one without a blast.

Blast Hook.jpg

Edited by Dink Master
  • Like 1

Dlaery, the hook is not an oversize hook. It is the recommended 4/0 hook. 

The pours that actually came out fine look perfect. The only problem is that there are too manky incomplete pours. I will try to heat up the hook before I pour the lead like Dink Master said to do. The only problem with that is that I do not currently own a heat gun to heat the hooks with. Will a lighter suffice to heat up the hooks enough? 

Also I did heat up the mold, to the point where my arm accidentally touched it and I got burned. So the mold was relatively hot. That leaves me to believe that it is the hooks that are causing the problem. 

Also I was wondering how to store the lead after it is melted. Do you leave it in the pot and let it harden? Or will that damage the pot? 

One other thing was that when I put weedgaurds on the Jigs that actually poured well, the weedgaurd wasn't as firm as I would like it. Is there a way I can stiffen it? I have heard of putting a dab of superglue in the bristles and that can help stiffen it. 

Thanks for the help above and I will try to apply your tips. Answers to the questions I just asked would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this and hope to start making many more jigs. 

As Basseducer said, use the Drop Out made by Frankford Arsenal. It will help with the pouring issues. It makes the mold very slick feeling. It is about $10 on Amazon.

Looking at the picture, it appears that you had a small pour followed by the finishing pour. You have to make the pour one motion. If you start and stop the pour you will see the pour lines like your top image. It looks like the pour started and had only partially filled the mold, then the pour was stopped and restarted. This caused the lead from being completely poured into the collar of the jig. I have done this myself.

I have this mold and it is usually easy to pour. Trying angling the mold a little when you are pouring the jig. This allows the air to flow out of the mold and not get trapped by the lead. I am assuming you are using a bottom pour pot. 

As far as the weed guards, they come in different thicknesses (individual fibers, not the size of the weed guard). You can purchase stiff or flexible weed guards, it appears that you got the more flexible ones. I have not tried the super glue method, but have seen some where the glue that I used wicked up the weed guard and it was a little stiffer. 

I use my toaster oven to heat up my hooks when it is cold here. I normally do not heat the hooks in this mold.

I store my lead in the pot, i drain it from time to time and clean the pot. Otherwise I keep the pot covered and leave the lead in it.

I also heat my hooks in the mold with a mini torch, Just keep in mind that if it cold out and you heat the hook in a cold mold it will cause some condensation and when you introduce the lead it will spit a bit. This will only happen a few times until the mold worms up. Long sleeves and safety glasses for sure.

Don't know if someone mentioned it yet, but are you using good, soft lead? Some molds are a real bear to pour with unless you are using good lead.  I have 2 molds like that. 

Also, I never empty the pot when done with a session of pouring. I see no need for it.

BLT,

I am using soft lead ingots I bought off of jansnetcraft. I think I figured out the problem. I read in another post that the brush jig mold has problems with bottom pour pots. So I tried to ladle the lead into it and it filled the cavity perfectly. I was able to make around 50 jigs this way with only 3 incomplete pours. I think this may be due to the flow rate of the lead that comes out of the bottom pour pot. 

8 hours ago, Walking Dead said:

Agree if it is slow coming out you will get incomplete pours a lot. Make sure the pot is nearly full and the opening is clear. Get the mold close to the opening and no issues. Hot mold and 700 degrees on the lead.  My take anyway.

I have an RCBS and from what I hear on the forum, the opening on the spout is larger on the RCBS. That being said, I still don't go below 1/3-1/2 pot, depending on what mold I am using. The extra weight pushing down helps the flow a lot.

You might try to fix your flow rate -more lead in your pot?

Watch this video for this guys fix. 5:20 Min. mark

His first pour was bad 4:45 min. mark

Check out his fix at the 5:20 min. mark

2nd & 3rd pour good flow 6:15 min. mark (not a good looking pour)

I would hold my mold closer and would heat my hook & mold.

Edited by Dink Master
  • Like 1