Kscatman76

Poison tail hook help

In the 32886 round bend, the biggest I've seen is 5/0. If you want to use the EWG 91768 Mustad hook, that the mold was originally designed for, that hook goes up to 8/0. depending on what cavity you want that hook to fit, you may have to modify the mold.

Edited by cadman

You can buy the Owner Twist Lock Light hook in a 6/0 and take the screw lock off of it and it should work but they are costly.  I have used the 3/0 and 4/0 Owner Twist Lock Light in the poison tail mold in the 1/4oz and 3/8oz cavities and it worked really well. I also hate that they call that hook "light", it isn't light, I use them for fishing soft jerkbaits and it is a medium wire hook, I'd have no problem using 30lb braid with those hooks in larger sizes.

Look into the 35 degree Gamakatsu hooks that are for sale on ebay. These fit in the 30 degree mold and the gap is bigger than a normal 5/0 hook. Besides that Mustad was making some 6/0 hooks but I cannot remember the model number.

Allen