Brick Steel

Respirator for water based paint?

I think to clarify my answer, I need to expand on it.  

If you paint all day, day after day, like 

On 4/27/2018 at 9:55 AM, mark poulson said:

Dust is what causes Asbestosis and Coal Miner's Lung.

miners do, then yes, protect yourself.  By the way, Asbestosis is only caused by Asbestos and it does not exist in Createx.  It is Silica that causes Miner's lungs, and it does not exist in Createx either.

On 4/27/2018 at 2:50 AM, 21xdc said:

I don't think that "Lungs" care if the paint is water based or lacquer. Paint in lungs is bad...

Taken to extremes, I suppose it can be said that anything is bad for the lungs except pure air.  Now, try to get that.

Air has dust in it, and in some areas of the world, lots of dust in it.  It has pollen in it, smoke, various chemicals, and well, air has always, from the beginning of life on earth, had something in it other then "pure air".

The lungs are designed/evolved to reject moderates amounts of contaminants.  Asbestos is so bad because it has hooks on the end that prevent the body from rejecting it (some asbestos is not so bad, it is used as a filter in dialysis machines), and of coarse solvents are bad because they are absorbed into the bloodstream.  The question is how much is moderate, how much before it is too much?  

The Safety Data Sheets provide what OSHA considers based on scientific data and historical evidence.  They consider it non-toxic.

But, I do not in anyway wish to suggest that anyone who uses fans, hoods, booths, masks, etc., are wrong.  We each need to decide what level of risk we are OK with.  I know of some who won't leave their house because they consider it too dangerous to leave the walls of their own home.  I know of some people that skydive.  For most of us, our level of acceptable risk is somewhere in between.

Now, regarding Createx, where is your level of acceptable risk?

Thanks for all of your responses. I painted a couple of baits this evening and used a disposable mask. It didn’t get in the way and was probably a good thing since I’ve had a annoying cough for the past two weeks.  I’ll probably continue to do that even though it looks really dorky. 

Like Anglinarcher stated, OHSA will have the most extreme recommendations. I use a NIOSH approved mask and filter when I paint or do any of that stuff, as well as have a booth fan going. It just makes me feel a little better about that stuff. Might as well conserve what little senses most of us have left. What's your lungs, hearing, eyes, etc worth down the road? 

• Like 1