bassstump

want to make pre-rigged worms

I use to purchase a custom pour 7.5 in floating worm that are no longer made. I had the foresight to purchase many packs in the 80's but are down to the last 5 worms in my treasure chest...lol so I'm learning how to pour my own. I have duplicated the worm using a resin  mold and have mad a snell tied harness using momo and the new brad lines but none of the lines will hold up to the heat and instantly melt. I think  the worm makers may have used other plastic or latex that poured cold or maybe had different lines that could stand up to the hot plastic. Are there any articles on how to techniques of pouring pre rigged multi hook worm...thanks

Photo0371.jpg

Photo0373.jpg

Photo0374.jpg

thin the southern states we had "do nothing Carolina worms" poured with hooks and line in place (SEE attached pics) . I know there are some mid western tackle makers(even for sale today) that are/say their are hand sewn ...just looking for instructional video or pic's telling how.. thanks for the replyes

wooooo..newyear1.gif ..... I think Ive got it figured out . I thread it with quilting needle work ok but just not what I wanted...keep trying things and finally was thinking back to early days ... Mmmmm... did they have micro waves ? maybe the microwave is too hot for nylon lines..pre-tied another 2 hook rig with same 50 lb braid that was melting before, used open flame coleman propane stove and a 1 cup size cast iron pan slow melted some white mag trick worms and pour the melt into the mold the positioned the hook rig in place then poured another quick line of melt to fill the mold ....seems to work .. tell me which is the original and which is 2018 version..... 2hpmykm.jpg

Edited by bassstump

Even if I agree with Anglinarcher, that is it should be better to sew a pc. of braid inside the long and thin worm, if you finally wish to include a wire insert, then you could try with a pc. of Mylar Tinsel. I do not know its tensile strength, but of course the #10 (1,6 mm) is recommended. Due the fact you can find several colors, at least with transparent worms you will give them an inner flashing dorsal.

Bye

Cami

I think I'm going to stay with the 50 lb braid for now since I figured out how to lay the harness after pour. I was wondering the braid would loose integrity after placement in the cooler plastic  but it seems this method worked well.  

2002y38.jpg 

Got to field test it and this 6 lber put it thru more than most fish would also landed several 2 lbers and a 4 lber....... as the Guy on the popular TV show "FORGED IN FIRE"  might say Bass Stump your worm will catch fish!!!

Again thank for all the member's replys!

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 5:21 PM, bassstump said:

Mmmmm... did they have micro waves ? maybe the microwave is too hot for nylon lines

I remember microwaves in the middle 80's but even then they were pretty rare and expensive.  I never heard of anyone using them for melting plastisol at the time, but maybe they did.  Kind of doubt it though.

Microwave is too hot for nylon lines

Microwave power can be turned down if necessary, so if it is a matter of too hot, that can be adjusted.

slow melted some white mag trick worms and pour the melt into the mold

Plastisol converts at about 350 deg. F, but it melts at lower temperatures on remelts.  You might have discovered how it was done, by using lower temperature remelts.  Still, I doubt nylon can handle 320 or even 300 deg. F.

I saw a "worm threader" in the store a couple of days ago.  I know it is sold to run line through nightcrawlers, but I suspect it would work better on plastic worms.  Tie the first hook onto a leader and tie a slip look in the front of it at the correct length for the hook in the center of the worm.  Run the "worm threader" into the worm down the center to the back hook location.  Feed the leader into the threader and pull the leader with hook inside.  At the front of the leader, insert a hook into the loop and snug it at the bend, then insert the threader into the worm again and slide the leader on the first hook out the front of the worm.

Still, all of this is unnecessary if you have a way that works for you.  Glad you got it figured out for you.

With nylon or braided PE lines the hot plastisol will be close to their melting point.  Kevlar line will withstand over 800 deg F before degrading and there's another material called Nomex that may go even higher.  I've bought both kevlar and nomex "string" or cord on Ebay.  A lot of kite enthusiasts use kevlar line so there should be plenty of that available.

Those "Tex" sizes for threads are based on weight of 1000 meters of thread.  So 1000 meters of Tex60 will weigh 60 grams.  I found a table that shows breaking strength of Tex60 Nomex to be 5 lbs.  Here's that table.

FILAMENT NOMEX®

Tex
Sizes
Government Spec
A-A-50195
MIL-T-43636A
Approximate
Single End
Strength
Approximate
Yards
Per Pound Soft
40 B/2 (46/400d) 3.4 9,700
60 E/3 (69/600d) 5.0 6,500
80 F/4 (92/800d) 6.0 4,870
120 FF/3 (138/1200d) 10.0 3,075
180 3/3 (207/1800d) 15.0

You might be better off with kevlar "string".  Nomex is used a lot for fireproof fabrics so pretty much what you'll find is fabric related (ie. threads).   Kevlar has been popular for kite strings in recent years so it is readily available in the higher strengths (than thread).  For a short time there were braided kevlar fishing lines being made but not any more as far as I know.  PE braids are a little bit thinner for the same strength as kevlar and less expensive than kevlar to produce so that's what most super lines are made from these days.

• Like 1

ok found a supplier that has Kevlar thread https://www.thethreadexchange.com  , ordered size 46- tex40 it is 14lb test. made a couple harnesses the thread is doubled so its more than enough for bass fishing and poured a hot melt over the harness in the mold . Thread had no shrinkage  took to the plastic well. Think this is the best to build my pre rigged  worms. Hope this will help anyone interested!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Do-Nothing worms were poured with #20 Dacron braided line tied hooks in the mold . The dacron will shrink ever so slightly from the heat but other than that works fine . Braided super lines all melted when I tried pouring  rigged worms with that stuff . Dacron line is hard to find now a days but it is still used by fly fisherman as backing on their fly reels .

DoNothingWorm.jpg

jigmeister, thanks for the Dacron tip! I read up on the spec on dacron thread melts at around 600 degrees so  I stopped by Cabelas and got a spool of 20lb dacron fly reel backing. Today  tied 6 hook harnesses  and re-melted  some dark cherry  and pear white zoom flukes. I poured a line of the cherry to set my harness in it. Holding  the hooks till cooled enough they stayed upright.then heated the white and filled the mold with it  made all 6 worms came out very good. Thanks again for the tip! 

DSCN2284.JPG

Edited by bassstump
misspell
  • Like 1