BigFish1973

KBS clear coat

How about a jar with metal latch and seal(see pic). You can get these cheap at Hobby Lobby / Michael's.   Saw someone in a video using this type of jar to hold their clear coat and mentioned they haven't had any problems.  They place some saran wrap over the opening before closing.

180429-0001.jpg

20 minutes ago, Kris said:

How about a jar with metal latch and seal(see pic). You can get these cheap at Hobby Lobby / Michael's.   Saw someone in a video using this type of jar to hold their clear coat and mentioned they haven't had any problems.  They place some saran wrap over the opening before closing.

180429-0001.jpg

This is what I have been thinking about as well. No Lid to screw on to get stuck. Only thing would be may have to take a screw driver to pop the seal loose if it got stuck. But that's a easier task that trying to get a metal lid off that's stuck.

I personally wouldn't use those.^^^^^  As expensive as KBS is,  why take a chance and who knows how it will react with the rubber gasket. When my mason jar lid got stuck I just poked a couple holes in the lid with a dart tip and drained into another jar and kept the new lip and threads cleaner.  Mason jars are cheap. You can get a dozen at wallyworld for like $10.  You can get wide mouth jars as well.  That  gal Jekyl on youtube  uses a spaghetti sauce jar for her KBS.  Just my .02

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 8:11 AM, Kris said:

180429-0001.jpg

I use one of these, and it's a pain to get the saran wrap and rubber gasket lined up right every time.

Plus I'm getting skinning after only one month, even though I use Bloxygen, so I'm thinking of trying one of the pickle jars I have in abundance, thanks to my youngest's love of dills.

There’s nothing saying you can’t use the “tap the can” method of storage on a new can of KBS to avoid storage problems.  If you apply a MCU by a method other than dipping, it is an easy way to store and dispense the finish while avoiding it curing in the   container.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 5:47 PM, BobP said:

There’s nothing saying you can’t use the “tap the can” method of storage on a new can of KBS to avoid storage problems.  If you apply a MCU by a method other than dipping, it is an easy way to store and dispense the finish while avoiding it curing in the   container.

Bob, I am just getting into hard bait painting and have been researching different top coats. I see people say "tap the can", is this just as simple as screwing in a self tapping metal screw into the side of the can towards the bottom? Then unscrew and let some flow out into a mixing cup and screw it back in? 

Yep.  I also put a small screw in the can’s top and shot some Bloxygen finish preserver into the can to start.  Loosen the top screw before the tap screw to allow the MCU to flow out.  I glued a piece of dense foam over the tap hole before I screwed in the screw to give it a more secure base.  Don’t know if that last “refinement”  or the Bloxygen is really necessary but it’s working OK so far.   I just wanted to insure I did everything possible to save as much expensive MCU as I could.  You want  to be quick to reinsert the tap screw when dispensing the MCU.  It doesn’t take much MCU to flood coat a small batch of bass baits.