ddl

low price hvlp gun ?

yeah it's me again with my millions of questions lol

im looking to pay less  than 70 usd to spray my primer what brand could you suggest me,there is so many model to choose ? is that possible to use these mini gun with a regular airbrush hose?  there was a tester at a local shop it was a dewalt 1mm and i was impress by the mechanism ,it was smooth but it mean nothing ,it could spray really bad .i guess a small (1mm)  nozzle is the best for lures around 10 inch?

Edited by ddl

Ddl, I take it you are making muskie size lures ? The rattle cans are great if you don't intend making too many. If your making a fair few regularly then the spray gun is the way to go, you will need a different hose and fitting from your airbrush hose. I'm sure as big blue says, you'll get a suitable set up from harbour freight. We don't have harbour freight over here but I can have a look to find one similar to mine, this is basically a generic cheap gun, 1.4mm nozzle . Zinsser bin slightly thinned is still VERY thick compared with anything you could put through an airbrush. ..

• Like 1

yeah it's for musky lure.do you think a airbrush compressor with 45 psi max is enough ?i have been told it will not be ok ,but many hvlp gun have a maximum of 35 psi. maybe there is other parameter that can have a roll that i didn't know ?

ive got a really bad news.it look like my compressor will not be okay. my cfm are too low for a spray gun :( here is the specs . i think i'll have to forget about the good idea of a spray gun.i invest more than 1000$ of things related to lure making .that' enough  .i'll use all my bottles of autoborn sealer with my eclipse .5mm then i'll brush and sand my 2 cans of bin

• Horsepower: 1/5HP
  • Displacement: .81cfm (23 L/min)
  • Max. Pressure: 57psi (4 bar)
  • AMP (110V): 1.0A

Yes ddl, that sounds too small. As huesey  suggested - you could try dipping them, I've also done this but prefer spraying. I got the best results by dipping and hanging them the way they come out, my results with dipping and putting on turner were not good, I think because of consistency  (viscosity ) combined with quick drying time. Definitely worth considering dip and hang though...glider

Edited by gliders
  • Like 1

dipping for small lure sound good but for big one im not so sure and it always finish with a bottle with not enough paint to fully covered the lure. maybe it could work ok with the right container ?

thanks

3 hours ago, ddl said:

dipping for small lure sound good but for big one im not so sure and it always finish with a bottle with not enough paint to fully covered the lure. maybe it could work ok with the right container ?

thanks

if you are looking for a good compressor try looking at California air tools they make a real nice 1gallon 100psi light+quiet model 1p1060s I have one it works very well. and it sells for a little less than $100.00

7 minutes ago, ddl said:

at 1.20 CFM @ 90 PSI  is not even 1/4 of what we need for a good atomization.

they offer many other models in their selection higher cfm so look at the selections  they     offer but one point is that it is they are very quiet compared to other brands!

I have been using the small 1.0 tip HVLP from harbor Freight (on sale $10) for maybe 10 years to spray my clear. I stopped making baits for a few years but when i was able to smuggle in some decent clear I fired it back up and still purrrrs like a kitten! 

I have a smaller compressor 30 gallon tank probably 3hp motor and it does ok, but I think you are too small. check out the old style guns they do not require near as much volume they use pressure to atomize paint. thus if you can get enough pressure you can atomize the paint. 

....HVLP = High Volume Low Pressure benefits in much better spray pattern and control basically but that doesnt matter for priming baits

On 5/3/2018 at 7:16 PM, ddl said:

at 1.20 CFM @ 90 PSI  is not even 1/4 of what we need for a good atomization.

The Talon has a fan head option but I would put it on a siphon fed brush with a .66 needle/nozzle so you can mount the whole bottle a spray to your hearts content. I have one and it works just fine don't quite remember the specs but I think fan pattern is over 3 inches

Edited just now by gone2long

ive just order mr hobby ps290 it's a made in japan it's almost exactly like the iwata hp th and it's less than 100 $ .if the reviews are real this will be my go to to shoot autoborn and covering big surface .can't wait to try it