jcv_cw

Matte Top Coat

Hi guys,

Pretty new in this forum but been painting for a couple of years now. I have always been using Devcon 2-ton epoxy for my lures and no complains to the finish and durable results.  But now I am looking at painting matte finished lures.  Any advise on what epoxy or coating I can use to produce the matte finish that is equally as durable as devcon?  Thanks in advance!

I've found that the long chain polymer molecules that produce a gloss finish are also the strongest, most durable, for baits.

When I buy a bait that has a matte finish, I immediately coat it with a gloss clear, to protect the paint.  Otherwise, the finish will be trashed after one day of fishing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

But matte looks glossy as soon as it is in the water, so I don't bother.

well that's true...  really shows anglers are more attracted to lures than fishes,  in this case my obsession in getting matte finishes.  thanks!

X2 with Mark.  The only matte finish I’m familiar with is the soft rubbery stuff I’ve had  on some Japanese jerkbaits and it peeled off rather easily during use.  My take on it is that the bass just don’t care and if anything, virtually all prey species have a sheen that is best represented by a high gloss finish.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2018 at 6:27 AM, SugarHillBaits said:

Here's a tip after using a durable clear ( i dip in diamond coat) and it cures take nail polish clear in matte brush 2-4 coats and it will be matte and have the durability of the gloss

thanks for the tip. will try that.

3 hours ago, Chuck Young said:

I love Createx products. That being said, I do not believe the Createx topcoats will provide enough protection for lures .

agree with you. i tried using the matte top coat from createx and it didnt last a day.