Bassinjunkie88

Handmade Tubes and Splitter Advice

I started doing tubes after watching the video.  I do not do his hot plastic 'sagging' technique where he flips the block upside down and back until the plastic cools.  Instead I hold the block upside down after dipping until the plastic starts to stiffen and then gently brush the strings of plastic off on the side of the cup.  I find less bulges and deformed tube heads.  That's my style, the author of the video seems to get great results with his technique too.

1 hour ago, SouthBelleGroveOutdoors said:

I started doing tubes after watching the video.  I do not do his hot plastic 'sagging' technique where he flips the block upside down and back until the plastic cools.  Instead I hold the block upside down after dipping until the plastic starts to stiffen and then gently brush the strings of plastic off on the side of the cup.  I find less bulges and deformed tube heads.  That's my style, the author of the video seems to get great results with his technique too.

How did tube cutting work for you?

58 minutes ago, Bassinjunkie88 said:

How did tube cutting work for you?

It went well.  I got a hockey puck and bought some razor blades I could attach to each other with a screw.  I spaced them apart with a small washer.  I attached the puck and razors to my ammo reloading press to cut the tails.  I can't do very large tubes because my razors are only 1.5 inches long .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassinjunkie88 said:

Nice.  I tried with just a piece of wood and a can crusher, but it doesn't cut evenly or all the way through.  I don't have any real type of press to use.

I had tried a press that converts a hand drill into a drill press.  You just don't get the leverage. 

Amazon has a Lee reloading press for $35 new.  If you look around I'm sure you can find used for less than $20 and maybe under $10.

On 5/14/2018 at 9:13 AM, SouthBelleGroveOutdoors said:

It went well.  I got a hockey puck and bought some razor blades I could attach to each other with a screw.  I spaced them apart with a small washer.  I attached the puck and razors to my ammo reloading press to cut the tails.  I can't do very large tubes because my razors are only 1.5 inches long .

Can you take a picture?

On 5/22/2018 at 2:27 PM, Bronzeback Cowboy said:

Can you take a picture?

I made a flat base to hold the razors .  The base slides into the slot for the shell holder on my press.  It's primitive and I used a stick welder, not the best for detailed work!  The puck is just attached to the top with duct tape wrapped to act like double sided tape.  Lots of leverage.

33429736_10215662516092285_8794799030166093824_n.jpg

33329543_10215662474131236_8403676325822332928_n.jpg

Edited by SouthBelleGroveOutdoors
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, SouthBelleGroveOutdoors said:

I made a flat base to hold the razors .  The base slides into the slot for the shell holder on my press.  It's primitive and I used a stick welder, not the best for detailed work!  The puck is just attached to the top with duct tape wrapped to act like double sided tape.  Lots of leverage.

33429736_10215662516092285_8794799030166093824_n.jpg

33329543_10215662474131236_8403676325822332928_n.jpg

Awesome! I just got my setup for tail splitting working like an engine. It's amazing to me that in 2018 there isn't a standard, go to product for this reason given the popularity for making soft plastics. Sure lurecraft has one but not everyone wants to drop $140 for a press that only does one thing. How long would you say your blades last? Additionally, what kind of oil are you using (if any) on your blades?

2 hours ago, Bronzeback Cowboy said:

Awesome! I just got my setup for tail splitting working like an engine. It's amazing to me that in 2018 there isn't a standard, go to product for this reason given the popularity for making soft plastics. Sure lurecraft has one but not everyone wants to drop $140 for a press that only does one thing. How long would you say your blades last? Additionally, what kind of oil are you using (if any) on your blades?

I haven't done it enough to comment on the blades.  I use food grade mineral oil I got at the local hardware store.