aulrich

Air brushing on powder , I think I have a plan

I am just about to pull the trigger  on a powder paint order. My plan is to be able to airbrush jigging spoons and then use powder as a clear coat.

Here are the steps

1. powder coat FLAT white as a base coat, I am thinking flat is important so that paint and topcoats adhere better

2. Paint like I would a crank bait, 

2b. Make sure the paint is dry.

3. Top coat with clear (the clear I found can cure at 325F it just needs longer to cross link and as I understand it acrylic paints should be able to handle up to 350F)

Are there any flaws with this plan that I am missing?

Back ground

Last year for a trip to jig for salmon I had made myself some nice looking jigs with the do-it shad mold, I did not have powder paint  solved for myself so they were primed with self etching primer , painted and top coated with etex.  They caught fish well enough but the finish mostly chipped in very short order, and it chipped right down to bare metal.  What I am thinking is that powder paint will stick to the lure   reliably and be very durable,  and if I can get the paint and the top coat to stick to the powder then I am golden.

E-tex is my usual clear coat,

The other though with the clear coat, is to use it as a medium for other things,  UV powder  , glow powder and glitter all of which survive in hot plastic , e-tex  and I would assuming  that it is likely  doable in KBS as well.

I had been thinking about that, I had also been thinking about sacrificing the lousy powder to the idea of reverse engineering it.  My guess is that it's just regular air brush medium or a reducer and some sort of wetting agent.

I got the flat white and clear coat last week the white fluidizes well so I should be good to go.

There are plenty of ideas for the clear coat, UV, Glow, glitter and pearl powder

I just got some KBS and it seems pretty good. I got a pint, so I put what I am going to use for a few days in a small bottle (e.g. a bottle that is used for airbrush paint— use a new bottle) and put some plastic wrap (Saran Wrap, Press N Seal, etc) over the bottle before you put on the lid. If you don’t put on the plastic wrap, you won’t be able to get the lid off! I also spray Paint Saver ( look on the KBS site) in the large container before closing. Note that I also add plastic wrap to the lid of the large container before closing it; this keeps the lid from being cemented to the container.

i have just started using KBS - the tips above came from a few sites - but I will keep you guys posted.

Pete