jcromerangler

Sealing Balsa Cranks

I use one thick coat of Devcon.  Another as topcoat and the bait is plenty strong though you may be able to compress it slightly if you apply lots of force (more than it will ever get from a bass).  Depending on temperature, all epoxy is slightly bendable.  If you want rock hard, superglue will do it but I’m not sure what the real advantage is because I feel epoxy has more resilience to impact damage.  Of course you could apply both.  There are quite a few good finish regimens that work just fine depending on your pocketbook and your likes/dislikes.  Not often discussed is the sound your bait will make as it rebounds off cover, and the finish you use can make a difference there.  Do you want a ping or a thump?  The bass haven’t told me yet what they prefer. 

Edited by BobP

If you do a lot of baits, you can buy larger quantity bottles from a hobby shop. They have some the size of Elmers school glue. 

When using it, be sure to vent well. A respirator with an "organic vapor" cartridge provides additional protection.  It heats up and generate fumes - esp on balsa. You can actually see the occasional puff of smoke. These fumes react with fluids in your body and cause them to crystalize. You don't want that to happen in your lungs. 

Used safely, they do an excellent job sealing and strengthening your lures. 

• Thanks 1

Any place that sell RC model airplane kits. Hobby lobby, or anyplace like that. I use 2 coats on balsa with a sanding after each coat. It is smooth as glass, but tends to take paint better than epoxy - IMHO. Get the thin, like Mark said. Great Planes is a brand that comes to mind .

Edited by Chuck Young
addition