Guest DiyEngineer

Has anyone tried making bamboo baits?

Guest DiyEngineer

Has anyone tried glued Bamboo wood for making Baits. I have applied standard wood bait principles (it was a topwater, lip less crank bait type), first I made my own rattle, then hollowed the inside fitted a wire frame for the hook and line connection then adding the rattle to the front of the bait for weight and wobbles. But after gluing and sealing it (I did not paint it), it kicked back and forth a little, with a kind of weak rattle. I don't what went wrong but I am guessing the 30 lb test was slightly stiff for it, how I came to this conclusion is that when I put thread (for sewing) it kicked a lot better.

If anyone can give advice, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Since bamboo is so dense, it most likely will take a lighter line to get the lure to work well, as you described. (Just like you wouldn't fish a trout lure on a heavy bass rod) I have seen bamboo used for jerkbait style lures for saltwater species. If you wanted to use heavy line as you described, possibly a bigger diving lip and a split ring or swivel would help with action. Definitly a cool build. 

Guest DiyEngineer

Thank You for the advice, the bamboo I was using is near the same density of medium quality basswood, but it might have been slightly too dense for the crank type build, I will try a jerkbait type next. I will PM you the results if it comes out successful (along with the specs involved), as I am trying to learn wood bait building. 

Edited by DiyEngineer

From my experience with bamboo (not lure experience - but wood working experience) I have noticed the following: Bamboo splits easily. When in contact with water, it turns slimy. Cooking utensils made of bamboo tend to repel everything put at them.  It is a strange medium.  Expect strange results when using bamboo. 

Guest DiyEngineer

People have had success working with this material, look at http://bamboobaits.com/, but I am barely starting my work in making wood bamboo baits. Also Chuck do you use raw, or processed bamboo, or maybe both? I ask this to see if you know which is lighter and or has better woodworking characteristics for the overall purpose of making lures, so that I may try which you think is better,and thank you for your replies both of you.:)

I don't think you can get bamboo in the thickness you need without it being processed in some way. Unless you plan on laminating it. I really am not an expert on bamboo.  I have nothing more to offer on the subject, and will bow out of any further discussion. 

I looked at the Bamboo Baits site cited by the OP and see nothing indicating it offers baits made from bamboo wood.  That aside, interesting idea.  But most of the bamboo I see cracks longitudinally as it dries and ages.  And it looks pretty tough to carve.  Other than the fact that it is hollow, which is what makes it interesting, color me doubtful.  Anyway, good luck with trying it out!

On 5/21/2018 at 11:25 PM, Chuck Young said:

I don't think you can get bamboo in the thickness you need without it being processed in some way. Unless you plan on laminating it. I really am not an expert on bamboo.  I have nothing more to offer on the subject, and will bow out of any further discussion. 

Correct.  It  will be laminated.    Not going to find any bamboo with walls thick enough to make a bait easily here in the states.    Can buy laminated boards at some of the big box stores.  

I have bamboo, in the round, in my shop and it works great for wind chimes.   Lures I would pass on both the round and the laminate (limited experience with it but not favorable).

21 hours ago, Chuck Young said:

The bamboo laminates I have seen (flooring) are not solid bamboo. There are many gaps deep on the inside.  It is like small sections of a bamboo cane loosely glued together inside and only solid on the top 1/8" or so 

Only bamboo I have messed with has been from Menard's and then some from Woodcraft.  Both were solid no gaps.

zoom.jpg?c=1482182886