Time Bandit

Straight Shakee blades vs. Bent

Guys I know that bending the shakee blades backward a bit will help the chatterbait stay down better....I've read that on a lot of forums and I do it to all of mine now.  But the first couple of chatterbaits I made, I made using the split ring connection and a straight blade as opposed to punching the hook eyes open now and connecting a slightly bent blade directly to the lure.  Those first couple of chatterbaits would suddenly cut out to the side randomly periodically during the retrieve and it looked really good.  I haven't seen that since with the direct connection or the bent blade.  Any of you all have any insight into which factor (the split ring or the straight blade) was contributing to that random kick out during the retrieve?  Is it possible to keep that even with a trailer on the lure, or does the trailer act as too much of a "keel," for lack of a better term, and keep the bait from kicking out or hunting?

I'm in the minority as I don't bend my blades and I actually prefer the blade attached by a split ring.  I haven't noticed a big difference with the way the bait runs with a bent blade versus a straight blade so I just leave the blades straight. As for the blade attached direct versus a split ring, well the bait runs much more erratic with the split ring and I think it helps draw more strikes. When I attach the blade directly to the bait without the ring it doesn't have the erratic action to the same degree as the split ring, however the blade makes a lot more contact with the head so it is producing much more sound and whichever way gives you more confidence is the way to go as both styles seem to work well.

I don't use a split ring and I always bend my blades.  Not all of my vibrating jigs "hunt" like you mentioned.  But, when I make one that does, it set it aside for use when the $$$ is on the line.  I have found that it may take some use to get a bait to hunt.  The longer it is used, the deeper the grooves that the blade makes in the head, the more the bait "hunts."  That's why I never powder paint my heads.  Powder paint is too tough and won't allow the blade to dent and groove the lead head very well.

Just an interesting bit of info from observation in the big cement pond test tank the other evening....I used the Trokar Arky mold to make a chatterbait with a direct connection between the hook eye and the blade.  Used a straight blade and it would "hunt" on the rarest of occasions but it seemed that the blade wouldn't start vibrating as soon as it would on a model with a bent blade. 

How many tabs will you guys use in the skirt for a chatterbait?  I usually only put 1.75  or 2 tabs in a chatterbait skirt as opposed to a full 2.5 tabs like with most jigs.