psilvers

KBS Diamond Coat on jigs

I should get some KBS Diamond Coat later today that I will use on some jigs. I have been using E-Tex but I thought this might be easier. I ordered the Diamond Coat and some thinner. I see lots of posts about using this on plugs, has anyone been using it on jigs? If so, what is your experience? Do you brush or dip? I also got the argon spray so that it doesn’t go bad.

Thanks,

Pete

9 hours ago, Dale'scustom said:

Will kbs help hold on 3d lure eyes? I'm having a tough time trying to get those buggers to stay on or not to bleed the color out of the eyes 

If you buy the WTD brand of 3D eyes you won't have to worry about bleeding and you won't have to worry about using super glue to make them stick. Yes, WTP eyes are made in the U.S.A and cost more but the quality is outstanding and the adhesive they use sticks so well I've had a spinnerbait that had the eyes lasts 2 full years without having a clear coat sealing them in or super glue holding them on.

So far, I have used KBS on some jigs, but I have NOT fished the jigs yet. My opinion is that it is easy to apply, and that it  provides a clear, hard finish. It dries fast - a second coat can be applied after the first coat is allowed to dry for 2-3 hours. That makes things a lot easier. Will it hold up to bouncing off rocks?  I THINK so, but that is just my feeling - and is NOT based on actual experience.

As for shelf life - I have had some different results based upon the situation. After I bought the Diamond Coat I also bought some KBS Paint Saver - see the KBS Diamond Coat site.  After opening the can I put a small amount in a 2 oz bottle, added a layer of Press And Seal kitchen wrap over the lid, sprayed the Paint Saver, and pressed the lid down. I used about half the coating in the 2 oz bottle and added a cap (also a layer of kitchen wrap over the mouth of the bottle) . In about 2 days the remainder of the coat in the bottle became solid. However,  the coat could certainly be used the next day.. BTW, even when it was becoming a bit thicker, you could still add thinner and get some more use out of the coating in the bottle. 

That being said, the use of the Paint Saver is important - and it is CRITICAL to keep the can closed tightly. I messed up one can because I put the lid back on and I thought that it was well seated. About a week later I went to  use the coating and I could see a small gap between the liid and the can and the KBS was solid as a rock!  My guess is that the lid was not seated firmly, and we had some warm temperatures which cause pressure in the can to build abd pop the lid.

i should be getting another can of KBS and more Paint Saver today. I am going to try aliquoting some imto small jars and using the Paint Saver in the small jars to see whether that  is a good storage method which might be more convenient than the  pint or quart cans.

I will keep you guys posted on the results of my experiments with KBS.

Pete

Try using a mason jar and adding a thicker plastic under the lid to help seal. It also helps to prevent the lid for adhering to the jar; if this happens you will probably have to break the glass to remove lid.

I pour just enough into a separate small cup and brush it on my jigs, also covering the thread.

Just to clarify - the small bottles were only being used for a day or so, not long term storage. The Press and Seal seems to work fine, but I may try getting a few jars - about 4 oz or so - and filling them almost to the top, spraying with Paint Saver and see whether I could use them for long term storage of smaller aliquots.

I will keep you guys posted.

Pete

I have had a quart can of KBS for a couple years. I used the tap the can method to get just the amount I need and used bloxygen to cover the top of it with inert gas for storage. It’s worked like a champ. Now I just take the bottom screw out to access what I need and reinsert the screw. Use with confidence.

Apdriver ,

I assume - correct me if I am wrong - that you are placing mthe screwnin the bottom of the can and you are storing it right side up. Does the screw effectively stop up the hole in the bottom of the can?  Do you spray the bloxygen under the  lid  (on the top) of in the hole you made for the screw (in the bottom)?

i have stored some 50 ml aliquots of the pint that I got. I put them in bottles, addded Paint Saver and covered with plastic before screing on the cap. I will keep you guys posted on how it works.

Pete

I put a self tapping roofing screw in the the top and one on the side of the can near the bottom. These screws have the rubber washer on them. I spray the bloxygen in the top. Never take the lid off....it’s hard to get back on properly. To get some KBs out of the can, remove the screw at the bottom and some will dribble out or you can press the sides of the can a bit. It won’t gush out upon screw removal. The screw at the bottom may need replaced from time to time because the KBS will dry on washer and it will tear upon removal. No big deal for me. Be careful screwing the can as it is pretty thin and can strip easily.