Bronzeback Cowboy

2.75 inch tube mold/Worm oil

Question 1) 2.75 inch tubes are my personal favorite when it comes to shooting soft plastics. Currently I have a 5 cavity aluminum mold that is doing an excellent job every single time. That being said, I want to make more, faster. Of course I can purchase another mold that has 5 cavities however, I am wondering if anyone might know of anyone who makes larger capacity molds? 

Question 2) I have been using worm oil to lubricate my molds prior to use and it is working well. The kind I purchased has a golden glitter in it which I dislike, and intend to switch to a different lubricating oil that is easy to work with. Does anyone have recommendations? Is there any lubrication out there that are scent free? 

Kind Regards, 

9 minutes ago, Baitjunkys said:

shouldn't be using any lubrication at all imo.  what is the reason for doing so?

I use the oil to lubricate the inside of the mold and the shanks that go inside. It helps the tubes pull off the shanks much better. Functionality wise, its a must have for me, I just personally am getting tired of the worm smell and would rather use something non-scented. Wasn't sure if anyone had any ideas on various brands...

+ 1 to what BJ said.

Mold release dries fast and dry, so it doesn't make a mess and you don't get flashing. Your tubes will slide right off. 

Even with 2 or 3 molds and a presto pot, you can make a serious amount of tubes. One trick a tube jedi told me that helps a lot is a BUNCH of insert rods. You can pre-spray a bunch, pull the tubes off w/ rods and just put new ones in and away you go. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, School Master said:

+ 1 to what BJ said.

Mold release dries fast and dry, so it doesn't make a mess and you don't get flashing. Your tubes will slide right off. 

Even with 2 or 3 molds and a presto pot, you can make a serious amount of tubes. One trick a tube jedi told me that helps a lot is a BUNCH of insert rods. You can pre-spray a bunch, pull the tubes off w/ rods and just put new ones in and away you go. 

To your point about having additional rods, I think that's a really interesting concept! I keep seeing rods for sale and I wonder to myself how anyone would use them for anything other than if they had lost an original rod or maybe somehow broke one.  Thanks for the tip! I'm new to this game. There so much to learn!

I have the angling ai 4" double dipper tube mold & i usually oil my rods every 4 or 5 shots or when i feel the rods starting to tighten when removing the tubes form them. Like was said if you oil the inside of your mold you will definitley get some major flashing going on. I have two sets of 5 rods & was going to order more, but honestly as fast as you can make them i haven't had the need for them. Tubes definitley add up  real quick. I wish all molds multiplied as quickly as they do.