DIYLureJunky

Heavy Jig Vise

7 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I would look at a regular wood working vise.

I got spoiled by my normal rotary vise :).  I need a larger rotary vise.  I found something slightly cheaper than the Peak vise, and it said for bucktails jigs and hook size up to 9/0.  https://saltwateredge.com/collections/fly-tying/products/saltwater-edge-rotary-jig-vise.  This rotary vise is more on axis than the Peak, but the Peak does look like it have better grip.

12 hours ago, DIYLureJunky said:

I got spoiled by my normal rotary vise :).  I need a larger rotary vise.  I found something slightly cheaper than the Peak vise, and it said for bucktails jigs and hook size up to 9/0.  https://saltwateredge.com/collections/fly-tying/products/saltwater-edge-rotary-jig-vise.  This rotary vise is more on axis than the Peak, but the Peak does look like it have better grip.

I had the saltwater edge vise. It did hold the 8oz. jigs I did up to 8/0 hooks.  The Anvil Apex  vise I had before that one did it also. I like the Anvil better, because it also held really small hooks also, the Salt water edge one could only hold down to #1 for me. If you are not doing he small hooks, the saltwater edge one should work just fine for your hook size, just don't know about  up to a pound. Some guys I know doing larger jigs used a set of vise grips lol.

12 hours ago, BLT said:

I had the saltwater edge vise. It did hold the 8oz. jigs I did up to 8/0 hooks.  The Anvil Apex  vise I had before that one did it also. I like the Anvil better, because it also held really small hooks also, the Salt water edge one could only hold down to #1 for me. If you are not doing he small hooks, the saltwater edge one should work just fine for your hook size, just don't know about  up to a pound. Some guys I know doing larger jigs used a set of vise grips lol.

Thanks for the info.  I'll go with the saltwater edge then.  I tie mostly up to 12 oz, but the bulk is around 8 oz.  If it doesn't hold 16 oz, I'll use a vise grip.  I have another vise that hold smaller hooks, so I'm covered.  I know it holds large hooks, just not sure if it holds large hooks with a chunk of lead.  You just answered that, big thanks.

10 hours ago, DIYLureJunky said:

My Saltwater Edge vise will be here next week. I'm excited.  I'll just need to cast some jigs this weekend.

Hope it does what you need it to do. Like I said, I had zero issues with 8oz., and I'll bet you will be good with the larger ones also. Just make sure you have the base clamped really well.

I got my vise today.  It held a 12 oz jig head with 10/0 hook no problem.  I gently press the jig head and it did not slip.  I then added 4 oz sinker to the 12 oz jig head, to make it 16 oz.  It held fine also.  There is still room in the adjustment screw to hold larger hook.  I'm satisfied with it.  Thanks BLT for the recommendation.

• Like 1