macstackleman

Spraying powder paint!

4 hours ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Aurich: Is that topcoat something that you want to keep a secret? If not, please  help a guy out here. 

Most people top coat with Devcon 3 Ton 30  minute epoxy or Envirotex  (E-tex). There are others as well.

Lots of projects this spring, so I am a little behind. 

I always have e-tex and I expect it to be good but the standard epoxy sort of annoying.

KBS is a possibility, I have never used it but since the painted jigs I am making are more trout/salmon not pike/walleye impact and flex resistance is more important than tooth abrasion resistance. Two brush coats should be nice and easy.

The dark horse in this is powder clear, supposedly createx type paints can take 350 f the clear I have can cross link at 325 f 

I have a lake trout derby beginning of August so I have a deadline for getting this done :) 

You can powder coat white, bake, then airbrush and clear coat. Use a quality powder and a fluid bed so you dont get much buildup. Basic hard as nails fingernail polish works great as a top coat, and will withstand a lot of abuse drifting downstream. Devcon 2t works better. These are some createx I did the other day. I'll never powder coat again. 

20180707_175529.jpg

20180706_213549.jpg

Edited by BBK
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Cadman turned me on to Rustoleum Self Etching Primer for my spinnerbait heads.  Now  I just prime them, and paint with Createx, and then, like BBK, I put a coat of clear nail polish over them, and they hold up to dragging through tules and hydrilla.

Thanks again Ted.

Hey Mark,

I still use etching primer for my lead jigs , like you mentioned. The spray jig with paint and clearcoat. It has worked for me for many years and still does today.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cadman said:

Hey Mark,

I still use etching primer for my lead jigs , like you mentioned. The spray jig with paint and clearcoat. It has worked for me for many years and still does today.

Ted,

I caught 15 bass today on one bluegill spinnerbait that I had used the etching primer/createx paint/clear nail polish paint scheme on.   Biggest was 4 lbs.  

I was throwing into the  isolated tules, and fishing it back through them, all day, and it still looks great.  

Thanks again.

I use the rattle cans that Ace Hdwe sells.  I'm sure it available wherever Rustoleum is sold.  Google it.

Just be sure you have good ventilation.  Whatever it is that etches the metal has some nasty fumes, but they go away pretty quickly.

I prefer to spray outside.  If I have to spray inside, I spray with the garage door open, and turn on a fan blowing past and out as soon as I'm done spraying.  A paint mask with a solvent filter is a good idea.

I use spray as well. I will tell you this. Make sure you tape off everything that you don't want sprayed, like the hook bend and the hook point. Once you spray etching primer on, it seems difficult to get it off of anything. I spray outside as well, as the fumes are a bit strong.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 6:37 AM, cadman said:

I use spray as well. I will tell you this. Make sure you tape off everything that you don't want sprayed, like the hook bend and the hook point. Once you spray etching primer on, it seems difficult to get it off of anything. I spray outside as well, as the fumes are a bit strong.

So this may be a dumb question, but the primer you guys are using is gray right? Thats all my local hardware store had in self etching. They had some regular clean metal primer in white

10 hours ago, cadman said:

I originally had gray primer, then I found some white etching primer, I believe it was Rust-Oleum. I don't know if they make white any more, as I haven't used it in awhile.

Doesnt look like it unfortunately. I looked all over the google and couldnt find any white etching primer. I tossed 20 jig heads in a block vise i made and hit them with the gray, then some rustoleum flat white spray I had. They seem to have taken the paint well, now I have to paint some up and see if they hold. Even using two paints, its cheaper than spraying a createx white base on each one. And about 100 times faster. 

4 hours ago, BBK said:

Doesnt look like it unfortunately. I looked all over the google and couldnt find any white etching primer. I tossed 20 jig heads in a block vise i made and hit them with the gray, then some rustoleum flat white spray I had. They seem to have taken the paint well, now I have to paint some up and see if they hold. Even using two paints, its cheaper than spraying a createx white base on each one. And about 100 times faster. 

I only paint baits for myself and my friends, so this is not a production model.  Strictly hobby stuff.   

I really like how I can paint and finish a bait the same day, using Createx and nail polish

I prime the baits the day before.  Since the heads of spinnerbaits and chatterbaits are so small, I can brush the Createx on with an artists brush, heat set/dry the paint, top coat the finished bait with clear nail polish (heat set with a hair dryer, too, to speed curing), and fish it the next day.

51 minutes ago, BBK said:

You definitely dont want to use rattle can and fingernail polish, the acetone will react with the paint. Learned that a few years ago. 

I have never had a problem with this personally. The only problem I have had is certain top coats make chartreuse powder painted baits turn orange.

Allen