jeffs

Capt Hooks Bait Keeper?

I've been using their hook keeper and the short ones are bad.  I have been in contact with them to let them know they have a problem and they are trying to get it fixed. They use to be the same size as the Do-it wire keepers but somewhere something got messed up. I'll let you know what happens because as of right now I have 4000 keepers that I can't use.

I have some of the earlier ones that they had made and they were fine. I got them about two years ago. There long ones I've not had any problems either. But then again, I bought them about 2 years ago as well. If there is a problem, they usually react fast and fix it.

I bought 1000 several years ago, to go in the do it ball head, they all fell out of the lures, assume the bend either wasn't enough or they were shorter than the proper wires, cost me a few $$$, stupidly I supplied a customer with 600 heads without testing them first to discover the problem.....

Just so others know, I have been using the keeper from Captain Hooks for the last 4 or 5 years, never had a problem. The bottom bend is a little tighter which I like but because of that the keeper sits a little lower and that has never affected jigs I've made with it.  Now the last ones I purchased at the end of April are shorter by about 1/16", they barely make it into the cavity so you can pull them out by hand after you cast your jig.  Well I emailed Captain Hooks and attached pictures showing the old wire keeper sitting in my mold and the new one sitting in the same mold and same mold cavity. Captain Hooks forwarded my email to the manufacturer and they then admitted to making them a little short so they are now going back to the original way they made them. When that happens Captain Hooks informed me that they will let me know when the new keepers come in and when I find out I'll be sure to let you know. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 1:57 AM, smalljaw said:

Just so others know, I have been using the keeper from Captain Hooks for the last 4 or 5 years, never had a problem. The bottom bend is a little tighter which I like but because of that the keeper sits a little lower and that has never affected jigs I've made with it.  Now the last ones I purchased at the end of April are shorter by about 1/16", they barely make it into the cavity so you can pull them out by hand after you cast your jig.  Well I emailed Captain Hooks and attached pictures showing the old wire keeper sitting in my mold and the new one sitting in the same mold and same mold cavity. Captain Hooks forwarded my email to the manufacturer and they then admitted to making them a little short so they are now going back to the original way they made them. When that happens Captain Hooks informed me that they will let me know when the new keepers come in and when I find out I'll be sure to let you know. 

Hi smalljaw did you ever get confirmation the problem got sorted?

4 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Hi smalljaw did you ever get confirmation the problem got sorted?

The manufacturer, Mustang wire, said the keepers are in spec but they are going to go back to the original design. That is double speak for "I decided to make more money but making them shorter but I'll admit no wrong doing" .  I never heard back but I did get 500 to try and they were fine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smalljaw said:

The manufacturer, Mustang wire, said the keepers are in spec but they are going to go back to the original design. That is double speak for "I decided to make more money but making them shorter but I'll admit no wrong doing" .  I never heard back but I did get 500 to try and they were fine.

Thanks I’ll try them again, I ruined1000 jigs with them previously!