ddl

good source for wire around .62 ?

hey

which one is the best piano string ,stainless steel welding rod or something else ? the one im looking for is the one that look like what is used to make spinnerbait ,it's really hard to bent and have a kind of spring like action if you see what i mean. please be precise because there is a tons of wire style  but very few can do the job. right now i have a rod i don't know the exact specs but it's really soft ,so i guess there is some kind of model better than mine ?

ps i already know the one we can find at the major luremaking shop ,it's perfect but just looking for something less expensive .im sure these wire have not been created for spinnerbaits  ,im sure they are used for something else but what? that's the question ....

tks

Edited by ddl

The McMaster-Carr stock number for hard temper spring back stainless wire in .063 “ diameter is 9495K93 (a 1/4 lb coil 23 ft long $3.87 US) and 9495k39 (a 1 lb coil  $15.51 US).  Lurepartsonline.com probably has similar wire in straight length pre-cut packages for making in line spinner lures.  I hope you have a wire bender machine, this stuff is pretty gnarly to bend!  Personally, I use soft temper bend and stay stainless wire on bass baits.  Still plenty strong and you can bend it with simple hand tools.  

• Like 2

thanks a lot bob ,i think that's what i want.i have a knipex round nose pliers that i use to make my spinnerbaits and bucktails,it work really well for .62

just hope the wire spool is not too small,or it's gonna be a mess to put them straight .i just want something stiff enough,to make sure cranks will not untuned too easily

I think the tuning problem has two aspects.  How easy is it to tune a bait and does the bait stay tuned afterwards.  If you use large diameter hard temper wire the bait will be hard to tune.  And the force required can also crack a lip or especially the finish on the nose of a bait, greatly reducing its life expectancy.  There’s a good reason why classic baits were made with soft brass wire.  It tuned more readily and didn’t destroy baits.  For the builder there are additional advantages in soft temper stainless wire.  It’s much easier to form accurately than hard temper wire and it won’t corrode like brass, plus it’s flexibility is a little less than brass so holds a tune better.  I use .041 soft stainless on bass baits and they keep their tune very well.  And it’s a joy to work with compared to hard temper wire.  I’ll never go back and urge you to at least try both tempers to judge for yourself.

• Like 3

bob

many musky lures are made with ss screw eyes that are at least 3 times bigger than .62 wire and they are way more hard to bent and when they are not perfectly centered we can bent them and lures didn't suffer at all. we speak of cedar that is at least 6 inch long .so there is no problem at all

Speaking as a welding salesman, If you buy wire in a spool, ask the manufacturer or retailer "what is the layout measurement?"  That is the diameter of the wires coil once it is unspooled. This can make a big difference when trying to staighten it. It also can reflect the memory and springiness of the wire .

You must mean .062 in wire. That is pretty hefty for a crank. But with a 6" plus lure, you are probably after big fish .

Edited by Chuck Young
additional

finally i'll not make any test,i was sure the welding rod was too soft but when it's just near a 1/4 inch long it's dead perfect not too stiff not too soft . spinnerbait wire would be ok but it would be too hard to bent for no superior result than the rod .and it's really cheap it's something like 25 cents per rod it think it's 16 inch long

• Like 1