Chuck Young

overcoat for chrome?

I have tired that. When I finish my experiments, I will post some pics for comparison. So far I have done nail art powder brushed to the topcoat, over: 1)rustoleum metalic silver, 2)aluminum foil, 3)white 4) wicked silver. also I have mixed it with topcoat over;  1) painted lure 2) white blank 3) foiled and painted lure. 

I got some chrome heat transfer foil. Now I am trying to figure out a good way to apply it without a heat transfer machine. I bought teflon sheets, .31" silicone pad, and I have an iron. So far, this will not work. I have tried a few different adhesives in a soft foam press. This has led to some interesting effects. 

I have also tried vaccu-forming the foil over the lure with a heat gun after applying adhesive. Then putting it in a press till it cured. This has led to the best coverage. 

Adhesives used so far: 1) Elmers craft adhesive 2) Four drops Devcon 2 ton reduced with 2 drops Denatured alcohol. I also will purchase some 3m spray adhesive (probably 90, since it handles heat better and has the adjustable spray). 

On 6/8/2018 at 8:42 PM, Anglinarcher said:

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails clear is reported to work if you do not touch the surface with the brush.  I have my doubts (LOL) but will test it some day.

If you coated it that way, you would end up with a very thick coat - probably throwing the weight way off. I have abandoned this approach in favor of heat transfer foil and epoxy. Measurements before and after showed no difference in weight of a bait chromed this way.  

I have posted a tutorial, thread, and gallery pics. A disproportionate number of the pics show mistakes, which were part of the learning process. I made them so you won't have too. Even those with errors, they look better that a spray chromed lure would after just a few fish. The last 1/2 dozen lures done came out very well. I am now confident that most lures, if not all, can be chromed this way. The foil can be coated with e-tex, Devcon, and probably all the rest as well - with no loss of luster.   I am sure many improvements can be made on this process. All I ask is that you share any improvements. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blackjack said:

I prefer  good old aluminum foil tape. 

Beautiful work as always and just further supports my long standing belief. 

Over the years  the aluminum foil tape has really no competition  in regards to cost, ease of use, shine/reflective properties, and clear coat compatibility.    I know I have tried many over the years and have observed a lot of guys stuff on this site trying to find something better but really has been clear the winner.      

Any kind of clearcoat works fine over foil in my experience.  I clean the foil after application with a Qtip and denatured alcohol to remove paint overspray, any finger prints/oil, and it brightens it by removing any oxidation.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 1:11 PM, blackjack said:

I have been honing my crankbait skills in a deep ,dark, dank cave.

At least my cave isn't dark. Love the foil application. I shy away from adhesive foil tape. I have had problems with layering different adhesives. I am having some success with HT foil and nail art films with thinned down epoxy. Nail art films are thinner and conform more closely to scale detail on ready made blanks. They also can be manipulated to create scale texture on a smooth lure.

• Like 1