northstar906

Inline Spinners and paint or coloring.

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum, relatively new to tackle crafting.  Started making my spinners for cost reasons and low and behold I'm now hooked on the process. I almost exclusively fish for stream trout and salmon depending on time of year, with the occasional visit to stocked lakes.  I have a couple of french patterns (roughly a size 0 and size 1) and a couple of patterns using inline blades with lead worm weights (1/16th oz and 1/8 oz weights) that work pretty well. I don't own an airbrush or any of the specialized paints, I mostly stick to acrylics on the lead as my wife likes to paint so that's what is available to me...also applied with a brush. I typically sand my lead prior to painting but I'd like to try and eliminated that process because well, lead dust isn't good for you. I know most people here are likely using airbrush and powder paints, but those that aren't, have you tried to use a self etching primer on the lead and had decent results? We don't have the huge rivers up here, a lot of what I fish is 1-2 feet deep with the occasional 3-4 foot hole, usually between 10 and 20 feet wide. I also like throwing my spinners in shallow sections of rapids so they will see some rough use, I realize that no paint is going to hold up over time when I'm constantly banging them off of rocks but as it is there is a distinct difference in how well it holds up when I sand as compared to not, I'd just like to eliminate that process. Second question I have is related to some of the rub on silver plating solutions. I do have nickel plated blades but I'd like to try some silver blades and was looking into these silver plating solutions as they seem very easy to apply. Has anybody tried these solutions out or do you typically just buy silver plated blades to begin with? I'd obviously run a coat of clear coat over them when I'm done plating.  I do on most of my brass blades as they are not lacquered blades to begin with. Hard as Nails seems to hold up pretty well on my brass so that's what I've been using for a clear coat over all my painted bodies and blades. 

Edit: Guess I should introduce myself too! Name is Deric, I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, 28 years old almost 29. I live very close to a good trout stream that I do all my testing with my spinners on. Even if it's just throwing some beads and bodies on a shaft, if I can do it myself, I'd much rather go that route than store bought. Nothing beats catching fish on a spinner that you made yourself. 

fish.jpg

Edited by northstar906

Hi Deric,

Welcome to Tackle Underground.  I'll try to answer some of your questions, and othesr will have insight on the rest.  So here are some of my answers:

Painting: I powder paint all of my lead jigs. It is faster and once you bake the jigs in a toaster oven, the finished product is very durable.

Lead Prep: There is no need to sand your lead jigs. Once you pour your jig, you can easily smooth out the rough edges with a 1/2 round bastard cut file. The paint will cover the rest and once baked it will look beautiful.

Self Etching Primer: I used to use this on lead when I first started powder painting. The product works really well. If you have clean jigs and they are not oxidized, then I believe this step is not necessary.

Blades: I buy all my blades with a lacquer finish.  You can buy gold, silver plated and brass blades with this finish. I like to buy my blades complete. It's just easier for me to do it that way than to try to plate blades and then clearcoat. Plus you will never get really durable results by plating it your self. 

I hope this answers some of your questions.

• Like 1

Powder painting is easy  and relatively cheap. Plus it is very durable.

Moreso than the paint you use now and as Cadman said no sanding required.

Just file any rough edges.

Baking in a toaster oven cures the paint so it holds up really well.

Plating while doable is not an easy process to do right.

Plus you will likely need to copper plate then plate in silver.

There are acid baths and plating solutuons you have to make. Plus buying the copper and silver.

Much easier and cheaper to buy them already plated.