stumpjumper16

KBS too thin?

I just recently purchased a can of KBS diamond clear and tried it on a few baits today. I have read several posts here on the underground about methods and tapping the can with KBS. I switched from etex and flex coat epoxy wondering if this stuff is as good as I have read about. I also purchased the xylene thinne following the recommendations of users on this site at 10- 15%  thinning of total product, but my solution seems very thin on the first coat brushing on. Is this normal?

KBS will seem thin compared to some epoxies.  I'm no expert by any stretch,  but when brushing I would not thin KBS.   I thin my KBS for dipping baits and the thinning helps keep from getting bubbles around the eyes of the bait.  If you are brushing your clear your should be able to backtrack and feather out any bubbles that are forming. Many have said KBS coated baits don't need to be placed on a lure turner, but I sure like the finish when I do. Two dipped coats, a couple hours apart on a turner and you're good to go! My .02.

I recently decided to try KBS for the first time after primarily using Dick Nites, I dip mostly but have brushed a few jointed baits that I've done.  I have to say I'm not overly impressed with the KBS.  I think DN gets harder and over all is a slicker finish.  I understand that the major draw to KBS is that it's easier to store but using bloxygen and sealing my dipping jars I would lose very little DN, thanks to the tips I gathered here from guys like Bob P amongst others.  To me the superior finish of DN outweighs the loss of DN.  

I've had some in mason jars now going on a year.  I've also had one  go "Off" within a couple months due to my negligence and had to pitch it.  Had some got a pretty good skin on it, removed skin and re-thinned and was able to use the rest.  Have changed jars a couple times.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nathan said:

What do you think of it Mark?..BTW..I use a shot of Bloxygen myself to be on the safe side..Nathan

I like it.  It holds up really well, and doesn't seem to change the paint scheme colors, except to deepen them a little.  I have not tried it over a chrome lure, so I don't know how it would affect chrome.

I use it for all my one piece lures that I can dip.  I do wait until I have several lures painted, so I minimize the open time, but the screw top pickle jar/plastic layers/bloxygen has made storage perfect.  No skinning.

The next batch I dip I'll let them drip back into the dipping jar, to see how that works.

I fish lures after two days, but I think it takes about four days to get really hard.

For me, even after four days, it still gets hook rash, so I put a coat of clear nail polish over the path of the belly treble.

Thanks for all of the information guys. Since posting initial thread, I've dipped several baits and even sealed a couple and painted and finished with KBS. I'm not sure as to the toughness as compared to sealing with D2t, but I'll be finding out soon. KBS does spread thin when dipped or brushed on from my experience thus far, but does not add that much weight to a bait with each coat; therefore I'm able to get closer to the weight of the original bait that I'm replicating. As far as clarity of finish with KBS, this stuff is gin clear showing the details on your baits. So far I'm pleased with the initial results. In terms of dipping, I've found that Saran Wrap layer 3-4 times under the mason jar lid seems to do the trick. Just make sure to wear gloves when messing with this stuff cause it's awful messy