Old School

Ideas on painting this pattern or similar

Welcome to the board!  You can learn A LOT here.

From what I can see from the pic looks like you can start with a holographic blank.  To see what I'm talking about look at the holo blanks at Predator Bass Baits ... http://www.predatorbassbaits.com/id69.html

Can you post a bigger picture so its easier to see?

• Like 1

I'll take a shot at this, I can't quite tell if that bait has a pearl white base or if it is clear (unpainted), but then I'd say it has a holographic scale sticker giving it the scale pattern.  A little green on the cheek, and black kill dot on the shoulder.   That's just my opinion on it, a larger picture would help though.

I am a big fan of holographic films on lures. The big trick with either of these patterns is getting the scale pattern. There are two ways of accomplishing this. 

For the mostly white lure, I would apply paint in this order:

Entire body - O white

Entire body - Createx F white (fluorescent white under clear holographic film has both fluorescence and reflection)

To apply scales using nail art film, I would apply the adhesive, then lay a scale mesh over the lure before applying the nail art film. Apply pressure with layers of craft foam in a vise while it dries. Do both sides before removing the film and scale mesh. 

This should leave you with the holographic scales with blank spaces where the mesh was. If you use clear holographic film, the fluorescent white will show through even where the film is. 

Finish the lure by using a gill stencil. the color used for the gills on the lure is Folk Art neon blue. You will have to thin it if you want to spray it. The kill spot (black) is generally applied just above the lat line and just behind the gill plate

The second method for applying the scales is to use Thinned Wicked pearl silver sprayed through a scale mesh. Apply a thin coat only - you just want to get a hint of reflection.

The other lure you showed is a Citrus shad. After applying scale effect, spray F yellow along the entire length of the bottom. Then also just above the lat line - not all the way to the top. 

Apply scale mask, then spray Folk Art neon blue to the top. Fade it down on the sides over part of the yellow, but do not cover all the yellow. The kill spot shown is also neon blue. Personally, I prefer a black kill spot. I also like to put a touch of F sunburst to the belly. 

I wanted to post a link to a gallery pic. But I was unable to access it. Only a few are available to view .

Edited by Chuck Young
attachment
  • Thanks 1