c_latrans

Heddon style diving lips???

I'm carving some wood bodies and trying to duplicate the body styles of the old Heddon Vamps and Punkinseeds. Does anyone know of a source for diving lips similar to the ones used on these lures. I think I could duplicate these lips by shaping appropriately sized spinner blades with a dremel tool. It wood save a lot of trial and error if these were available somewhere though. Thanks Dale

Dale,

I don't know of any place that sells those lips regularly. I have seen people sell them on E-Bay or other places occasionally but they typically sell too high for me.

I make some reproduction Punkinseeds sometimes. As a matter of fact, I just finished 4 tonight. For the lips, I use modified spinnerbait blades, as you suggested in your post. I prefer to use the painted blades. I remove the paint to reveal a heavier weight steel blade, not nickle-plated brass blade as is typical with most spinnerbait blades. I also like the painted blades because they look more like the original Punkinseed blades. I cut out a "V" shape where the hole is and then bend the points back. Drill a hole in each point and and basically you're done.

Very nicely done. What size is this one? Is that the decal eyes or are the eyes raised and painted? I've tried to make a couple stencils for the shore minnow pattern. I've been using mylar (?) transparency sheets, but I have trouble trying to cut out such a fine pattern. Do you cut or burn your stencil? Thanks Dale

Thanks for the compliment.

The eyes are stick-on 3D eyes covered over with epoxy finish. The lure is 2 1/2 inches long. Basically the same size as the original.

I used the stencil material that you get from the craft department in Wal-mart. I had nightmares trying to get the stencil to work. I finally had to make the stencil in three different pieces in order for it to lay right on the lure.

Gene