KingfisherWI

Airbrush Restorer

I use it three ways.

If it's been a couple of weeks since I've painted, I'll put a couple of drops of restorer in the paint bowl, backflush, and clean the needle, before I paint again.

If my airbrush is "acting up" while I'm painting, I'll do the backflush then, too.

If my airbrush is not painting smoothly, and I've been using it for a month or so, I'll disassemble the airbrush and soak the parts in my glass pickle restorer jar.  It has a gasketed top that screws on tight.

A clean airbrush is the secret to enjoying painting, so err on the "more often" side of your cleaning regime.

And be sure to thin your paint to the consistency of skim milk.  Too thick, and you'll wind up fighting it, or having break down you airbrush and clean it all over again.  Thin it with whatever that particular paint brand recommends.

I don’t use it as often as Mark but I agree a clean brush makes  a happy painter.  I clean mine after every session with acetone and take out the needle to make sure it’s clean.  That removes most of the paint inside.  But there’s always a few traces in passageways, etc, and it tends to build up over time.  So every once in awhile, I disassemble everything except the air valve and soak everything in restorer overnight.  Agitate the container a few times during the soak.   Rinse it thoroughly and lubricate the moving parts (needle, trigger assembly, air valve) with a fine oil (I use reel oil).  The restorer emulsifies and softens acrylic paint so you can rinse it out of the brush (which standard solvents can’t always do).

• Like 1

I googled "how to backflush an airbrush" and found this:

I keep a tupperware container of water next to my painting station, and backflush with that water between colors, and after each session.  I made a wire bracket that hangs and holds my airbrush with the tip in the water, so I don't get tip dry if I have to pause in my painting.

• Like 1

In addition, when the paint starts coming out funny, you can empty the brush, remove the head (or totally retract the needle), put  a drop  or two on the outside and brush it with a tooth brush. That removes the dried paint that can clog the brush at lower pressures. For sort term storage, I spray a drop or two through a thoroughly rinsed brush and snap the cap on while it is still coming out. Then I put my water bottle on the bottom feed.  Before the next session, just spray the water. 

It can also be used on the exterior of your brush to remove dried on paint. This makes your brush look sharp. 

If you use your finger to cover the end, be careful not to bend the needle tip. The cap that comes with the brush is useful in this regard. It creates an airtight seal, forcing  everything backwards through your brush and out through the cup or bottom feed. If some pearl or clumpy paint gets stuck, this is one way to force it out of the critical areas. 

Usually I crank up the pressure, and work the needle to get rid of clogs. Touching a bottle of water (for bottom feed brushes) repeatedly to the brush does a great job of clearing the brush of paint. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Young said:

If you use your finger to cover the end, be careful not to bend the needle tip. The cap that comes with the brush is useful in this regard. It creates an airtight seal, forcing  everything backwards through your brush and out through the cup or bottom feed. If some pearl or clumpy paint gets stuck, this is one way to force it out of the critical areas. 

Usually I crank up the pressure, and work the needle to get rid of clogs. Touching a bottle of water (for bottom feed brushes) repeatedly to the brush does a great job of clearing the brush of paint. 

Be sure you keep your finger over the cap when you backflush, or it will shoot across the shop.  Don't ask me how I know.