Bigmouth

Florist’s Wire

Historically,  I’ve always used the little silicone disks on jig skirts, and just put up with the occasional slippage of the skirt down the hook shank. Just recently, I came across a review of a jig I made, and the only negative was that the skirt slid down the hook shank occasionally.  I’ve noticed on this forum that some of you are using florist’s wire to tie on the skirts.  It sounded like a solution to the slippage problem, so I gave it a try this afternoon.  The results seem really good.  The only thing I can add, is that I tried a double overhand knot just using a single loop of wire. This was a lot faster than doing two loops and twisting the ends together.  I’m wondering now how well this arrangement will hold up in actual use.  Have any of you tried this arrangement?

Mark, I used 26 gague wire.  The double overhand knot is like the first step in tying your shoe, except you do it twice instead of adding the bow, then pull it snug.  I used two pair of pliers to do the snugging part.  It’s illustrated visually on the Internet.  The tie still looks like it will last forever.  It’s going to be awhile before I can try it on the lake, so I thought I’d check with you guys.  Any testing reports will be welcome.

I don't make bass jigs but mostly very large saltwater jigs.

I use ss aircraft wire that comes in a cardboard cannister and comes out a hole in the top.

Not sure how many feet are in one but it lasts a long long time.

Then I use a Clamptite tool to secure the skirts.

Not sure if it would work on those tiny bass jigs but a single wrap using the Clamptite works awesome on my saltwater jigs.

https://clamptitetools.com/

I prefer using 6in manual  (No spring return) safety wire twister pliers.  Wrap wire two times and pull tag ends snug and twist. Cut off tags and bend over. I have not found a faster, cleaner looking method that makes the skirt look alive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 21xdc said:

I prefer using 6in manual  (No spring return) safety wire twister pliers.  Wrap wire two times and pull tag ends snug and twist. Cut off tags and bend over. I have not found a faster, cleaner looking method that makes the skirt look alive. 

I use needle nose vise grips the same way, but your post reminds me that I bought a pair of safety twist pliers, years ago, and now I'm going to have to do a full on garage search to find them!

On 7/6/2018 at 10:03 AM, mark poulson said:

I use needle nose vise grips the same way, but your post reminds me that I bought a pair of safety twist pliers, years ago, and now I'm going to have to do a full on garage search to find them!

+2 on Needle Nose vice grips.... work real nice to twist the wire tight.

J.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 3:43 PM, mark poulson said:

I have not tried your method.  It sounds like it would work.

What gauge wire are you using?

The wire I use would be hard to tie into a knot.

I use thread to tie my skirts, and then 28 ga wire to wrap them more solidly.

Correction.  I use 24 gauge wire for my jig/spinnerbait skirt wraps, and 28 gauge for my spinnerbait R bend reinforcement.

That’s a concern, of course.  I’m no physical giant by any means, but I pulled the ends of the wire until I could see it squeeze into the skirt material and stopped there.  The jigs I finished  in July have shown no signs of wire loosening, although eventually that may happen.  I think that in normal usage the skirt will have to be replaced before the wire loosens, but that is just conjecture, at this point.  Time will tell.   Thanks for your input

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bigmouth said:

That’s a concern, of course.  I’m no physical giant by any means, but I pulled the ends of the wire until I could see it squeeze into the skirt material and stopped there.  The jigs I finished  in July have shown no signs of wire loosening, although eventually that may happen.  I think that in normal usage the skirt will have to be replaced before the wire loosens, but that is just conjecture, at this point.  Time will tell.   Thanks for your input

I lose the jig way before that wire will break. Had a swim jig that the hook bent out and weedguard ripped out on a brushpile but wire held.

Allen

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mark poulson said:

When I want to change the skirt on a jig, even one that's been fished a lot, the wire is a bear to remove.

I agree.  Even the simple double overhand knot that I’ve been talking about is hard to get off with just my thumb nail.