bigblue2

led mounted into hard baits

I did once. I never tested action of the lure, just the light. I used 2 small button batteries to power one led. I had it rigged to only light up when it was in the water, but the batteries still died or a connection was broken a few days later. I would like to work on a Faraday effect lighted lure, I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

1 hour ago, Josh Buck said:

I did once. I never tested action of the lure, just the light. I used 2 small button batteries to power one led. I had it rigged to only light up when it was in the water, but the batteries still died or a connection was broken a few days later. I would like to work on a Faraday effect lighted lure, I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

whats the faraday effect lighted lure?

Yes, lighted lures have been done, and due to the technology available at the time, the company is also done, cuput, dead.  I think it used a red LED.

I lived in Washington State and in the 90's, through maybe 2005, there was a lure that was available that used a sealed hearing aid battery and lighted the lure only came on when it was in the water (the water completed the connection).  I think the lure was called the Lightning Lure, but I am not sure.  I only had one and the water got into the battery compartment and destroyed it.

It was a highly sought out lure for Steelhead fishing at night with the trollers.  But, one in 4 did not even work out of the box and 3 of 4 would not work after one trip.  That caused huge returns and massive outcry from the fishermen.

I can see how a LED would work fine, but sealing the compartment for the batteries would be an issue.  Still, my watch is waterproof.

Energy recapture technology is not new, but the ability to use it is developing.  Like Josh mentioned, examples are the lights that charge by shaking them, or the shoes that light when you move and walk in them.  Typically that adds weight to the system, but if you can remove or dual use the weight for ballast, then it should work.

I think Livingston Lures makes one with the sound and illuminated eyes.

The one I made was a one and done prototype, just to see if I could make it work. I would not have been able to change the batteries. I started to design  a battery compartment, then realized that it may be possible to build one like the flashlights. I haven't really thought about it much in the past year or so, because I have almost given up deep trolling for walleye.

Im sure it would be close, but with the one i made, after transparent paint, was brighter than glowing lure I had seen before.

I was going to use it for trolling 25+ ft deep for walleye at night, but my dad and I still arent that great at it. Im not sure how long the glow powder stays illuminated. However, i thought if i could make one without batteries, i could troll the same area longer, without having to reset.

Edited by Josh Buck
And i just like to tinker

Here's a link to the powder/paint:

https://glonation.com/glow-in-the-dark-products/triple-glow-powders

I mix the older glo green/white powder into my soft plastics, and they last all day.

I also mix that power into clear nail polish, and it glows for an entire fishing trip.  Every time I pull a lure out of the water, it is recharged by the sun.  

The latest yellow triple glo is supposed to glow for 8 hours, so it should last through a night tourney, too.

33 minutes ago, bonepile said:

luhr-jensen made a lighted lure. I have one. the j-plug. it has a screw-bolt that goes through the lure where the eyes are. somehow, when water contacts that metal, the blinking light inside the lure activates. 

hey I am in the process of making a led flasher for lures got the plans off of bing