Walshhog

Clear coating lipless crankbaits

Hi guys, I’m pretty new to painting hard baits. I’m having an issue securing lipless crankbaits. I’ve tried alligator clips to the hook eyes etc. The thing that seems to work the best for me is I purchased some flex coat lure vises that look like the handle of an xacto knife. My issue with these are the clear coat. I use etec lite. The coating gets between the vise and the lure and it’s a pain in the butt to remove the vise from the bait and then leaves a pretty big “burr” of coating. Any tips or tricks? Or is this just something you have to deal with? Thanks in advance for any info.

You might bend a wire through the eye and attach your Xacto handle to that.  I clearcoat over hangers by design on wood baits and use a Dremel with a micro 1-2mm drill bit to zip the epoxy out of the hangers after it has cured.

I use a etex with a lure turner.  I also have alligator clips or small spring clamps with the plastic pads removed.  Without the plastic I can get right onto the edge of the hook hangers and basically be epoxy free.   Works for me.  Some guys I've seen suspend their lure with wire or rubber bands on their turner, that might work with smaller lures too. Tough part about lures without a bill is holding it while applying the epoxy.  Basically need to have it installed on the turner and apply the etex so there is no handling in between.

I recently discovered that alligator clips can be a little less  tricky if you use some 1/8"(?) kid's craft foam (Michael's kid's section) inside the teeth. Just let the teeth of the clips bite through the foam then trim them with a razor knife. The foam keeps the lure from twisting in the hook hangers. 

You could always loop wires through the eyes and hold the wires with alligator clips. This method also works on multi-jointed blanks. 

Edited by Chuck Young
addition
  • Like 1

A pair of locking forceps can grip a hook hanger while you paint or epoxy a rattle bait.  After clearcoating, I  transfer the bait to an alligator clip on my turner.  Yes, it can sometimes flop around a little while turning but it never falls off.  It all depends on what equipment set up you start with as to how you get it done.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2018 at 7:14 PM, Chuck Young said:

I recently discovered that alligator clips can be a little less  tricky if you use some 1/8"(?) kid's craft foam (Michael's kid's section) inside the teeth. Just let the teeth of the clips bite through the foam then trim them with a razor knife. The foam keeps the lure from twisting in the hook hangers. 

OK I had some major problems when I tried to clearcoat with this arrangement. It works great for paint, but the epoxy soaks into the foam and you have to cut it off your lures. 

• Like 1