Ichthus

Making a rattling Colorado blade

Some of you may have seen this but there’s a new bait coming out of Japan and on the back, it has what looks like a Colorado blade but if you look on the other side where it should be cupped, it’s filled in. Upon watching videos of it, I realized it was a loud rattling blade, possibly plastic. It sounded like a rattle trap being ripped through the water except it was on the back of this frog. Really want to try and make one of these blades to coax the bass up through the weed mats. Any suggestions?

I was looking into exactly the same thing. Haven’t found any info yet. I’ll probably end up making a silicone mold of an appropriately sized Colorado blade and a flat bottom piece and casting the parts out of tough plastic. Once out of the mold, I’ll put the rattles in the plastic Colorado half and then super glue the flat bottom piece onto it to seal it up. 

I’ll more than likely end up buying the Teckel Maraker when it comes out before I actually get around to casting my own part though.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:23 PM, Grisley said:

I was looking into exactly the same thing. Haven’t found any info yet. I’ll probably end up making a silicone mold of an appropriately sized Colorado blade and a flat bottom piece and casting the parts out of tough plastic. Once out of the mold, I’ll put the rattles in the plastic Colorado half and then super glue the flat bottom piece onto it to seal it up. 

I’ll more than likely end up buying the Teckel Maraker when it comes out before I actually get around to casting my own part though.

Yeah that was my last resort haha. With things like this though, it’s always the last resort that’s the best option I find. I’ll probably buy a few too just to experiment.