dv616

Which plastic to start with?

I am going to start injecting my own soft plastics.  So far, I have some molds, colorant, glitter, injectors, etc.  But, I have not decided on plastic yet.  I was going to use Dead on Plastic but the phthalate free plastic from lurecraft also looks good.  i have plenty of ventilation (I am a painting contractor and I have a spray booth) but I like the idea of avoiding the worse chemicals whenever possible since I am exposed to chemicals when I work as well.

Any pros and cons to those two options that would help with my choice?  I think that the stuff reheats well without needing heat stabilizer would be a good trait.  Good clarity is important as well since I think I want to try some very transparent color ideas for some clearwater smallmouth bass baits.

Please let me know your thoughts or suggestions on other plastics to consider.  Once I get plastic ordered, I can start trying some stuff out!

Thanks!

I am new to the hobby as well, I started with the doit essentials. I am now looking for my next plastic, it’s super hard (for me) to keep the doit clear, always turns yellow even before it gets to 350. I heat for 30 seconds stir a little repeat till I get to 350, gets yellow all the time. 

Anyways, looking for my next plastic as well, I’m going to make a few calls tomorrow to get some samples and go from there. From what I have been reading M-F, baitjunkys and Lurecraft are all good,  baitjunkys being the least expensive at $49 shipped. Not bad if it’s good stuff.

I’ve used m and f, bait junky’s , lurecraft which are all good in there own right although I don’t think bait junky’s is selling plastic anymore :-(  which sucks they have great service . M and f is my choice now  for super soft plastic great stuff . However hook holding? Not so much but I use it to make stick baits and hook holding is not priority to me action is paramount in that case. Lurecrafts plastic is pretty durable  . Good for jig trailers and flukes. Plastic is like opinions , everyone has there own and no one is 100% right 100%  of the time . Try them all! 

Tight lines 

1 hour ago, wallyc14 said:

I’ve used m and f, bait junky’s , lurecraft which are all good in there own right although I don’t think bait junky’s is selling plastic anymore :-(  which sucks they have great service . 

Plastic is like opinions , everyone has there own and no one is 100% right 100%  of the time . Try them all!           Tight lines 

BaitPlastic.com is now selling the BaitJunkys branded plastic, same manufacturer and formulas and they're still vacuuming the air out of it. 

1000% correct, best advice is get a small quantity from as many different manufacturers and try them, you will decide easily what works best for you. 

I ended up getting a gallon of baitjunkys, the shipping is a killer but the overall price was still pretty good. Hoping it doesn’t bubble as much, or turn yellow as easy as the doit essentials did (I did order some heat stabilizer as well)

• Like 1

Keep any eye on temp And don’t use to much heat stabilizer and you should be good to go . And shipping is an SOB  no matter where you go I only make for me and my friend but I still order it 5 gallons at a time it’s the cheapest way to get it unless you’re mass producing and then that’s different . I’m  sure you will be happy with it 

• Like 1

I got my gallon of baitjunkys medium yesterday, and got to pour a few baits this morning. I used the exact same heating process as the Doit essentials (30 sec, stir, 30 sec, stir, 30 sec, stir, 20 sec stir, took another 15 to get it to 350) and while the ES with this method came out yellowish and full of bubbles, the BJ plastic came out crystal clear and bubble free. Very impressed and excited to get to use this plastic! It also smells way better than the ES plastic.

a mix of firm from https://lure-solutions.co.uk/ and http://lurefactors.co.uk/ soft

lure-solutions got a acid smell like but it goes away after a few days

lure factors got the plastic smel..but stays a long time (15-30 days)

made a mix ...(the firm was realy firm) af the two and got the best 50/50 mix:

nice smell and it goes away after 3-4 days

firm ..but not to firm

clear and doesn't yellow  after many reheat.

Edited by OIR