RiverMan

my airbrush hates me!

Last week I had my paasche single action working

like a dream. Sprayed several colors and all went along just

great. Last night, however, the brush turned into a

monster!

Here is what's going on. The brush will spray

perfectly then stop completely. I give the needle a

turn and it sprays again for about 5 seconds then stops. I turn the needle again in either direction,

same story, five seconds then it stops. The fact

that it starts spraying again when I turn the needle

makes me think it has to do with the a particle in

the needle but I can never find anything clogging

it. The breather hole on the jar is clear, the nozzle on the

top of the jar I took apart, it's also clear. The

tube in the jar is clear. The paint itself has no

particles or problems that I can see. The gun

will spray water just fine. I cannot

seem to identify why the brush is doing and it is driving me crazy! It sprays, stops, sprays, stops.

I wrote a guy that does alot of spraying and he told me that this is something the Paasche brushes are known for and that his does the same thing. Are you guys able to get paint to spray and spray without stops?

Thank you!

jed

Jed,

If it is just one color, then it is not thin enuff.

Green is the worst large pigment sizes.

Clean the cone and tip real good.

Try it, thin, try it thin.

If still getting on where then you need to go up in tip size.

Also you can unscrew the innerds of the cone, and have the cut in the needle facing down.

Different colors from the same company can be way different on the mixing.

The faster it drys the thinner you need it to spray.

Some paints are tricky and the pigment size can be the problem.

I feel your pain Jed, some badger tips are my thorns. I go thru them like my children do a fresh gallon of milk. I had a tip about 2 months ago that was new , it did almost the same thing as you described, except the paint was pulsating out in 5 second intervals. I thinned the paint down, cleaned the brush, changed paints, and it never did work correctly. I switched to a new one and it worked like it was suppose to. Let us know if you get it deciphered. I guess all tips arent created equal. Good luck.

KL

Wheres Chip btw?

I also have the same airbrush and have experienced the same problems. The guys are tellng you straight and here is my own methodology. Thinning the paint often fixes the problem but this can be a guessing game. It's like working on a car engine (pre-1990 of course) use the process of illimination

until you and your airbrush become friends. Here's a few goodies I have experienced.

One problem has been water in the compressor tank. If yours has been idle for awhile, water can build up. Put a water trap in your airline (I advise this anyway)

Make sure the small gasket is on the thingamajig at the tip of the brush is there.

If you have been shooting dark colored paints, they can build up but you can't see them when you look into the needle. I have a number of needles and often soak them in paint stripper for just this reason. I also clean each needle after changing colors with a lite solution of Simple Green (greatest thing since sliced bread, non-toxic, smells good).

Mitcheal

From the muddy banks of the Detroit River.

I have the same problem with my single action Paasche H. The paint seems to slowly clog up the cone causing me to keep increasing the flow of the paint a little at a time. The problem is I end up with the needle wide open and then I get splatters or worst, the darn thing unclogs and the paint come out like a fire hose. If I paint enough the thing will eventually stop spraying paint altogether, I have to stop and do a thorough cleaning. This happens with Createx and the craft paint from Wal-mart. The most troublesome paints for me are pearls and metalics, I have to raise my air pressure to the 40 to 60 psi range to keep the paint flowing.

I figured I was just me since I really don't know what I am doing yet. One thing that helped, I started keeping a small bowl of water handy. I emerse the needle into the bowl and spray. It cleans off the needle tip and keeps it moist.

Is this problem just a lack of expertise in proper thining of paints? I have to thin by almost 50%, that seems a bit much. Should I thin with something other than water?

I've been airbrushing with a double action paasche for a year now and I'm still getting the same results as everyone here. I'm ready to throw the freakin' thing out the window! I've thoroughly cleaned the brush and even used a super sonic vibration cleaner to completely clean it and it worked for a couple of sprays but then back to the same old spray stop sputter! :pissed: anyone here suggest a better airbrush? I've heard that aztek makes a good one and it's reasonably price.

Well I guess it's good to hear others are having similar problems, "misery loves company" you know. I too have found an increase in air pressure helps, been running about 35psi. I also dip the brush in water all the time and it will spray water fine but put the paint bottle back on and I'm right back to where I started. I also found a nice little stash of paint goo in the metal fitting that sits on top of my jar, for those that haven't checked this spot take a look. There must be something else to the problem though as otherwise the big guys painting hundreds of baits could never get their job done. What I am wondering is if it's the brush, are there brushes that eliminate this problem?

Jed

Jamie, I bought a new Paasche airbrush about 5 or 6 months ago. I had the same circumstances as you, every time I used my airbrush it worked like S@%t. I was making my paint thin as water, turning the air pressure up about 50-60PSI. Anything I did I could not get it to paint a nice thin line it was trying to dump all the paint out at once or nothing. I was so angry that I was painting everything by cans. One day my buddy asked why I don?t use the small little open cup. I tried it one time and that is all I use now. I started to think and looked at the hose on the cap and found it was seated on the bottom of the jar. The paint could not get sucked up the hose. After I fixed it, it works just fine.

Jamie and Jed, it is more than likely something foolish like what happened with me, if you try all the things that was posted.

Rich, you are correct on thinning your paint deferent per color.

-Corey

I agree with Benton for most of the problems you guys are talking about. Its gonna really only be a few problems, with solutions for you. To me it does sound as if its a bent needle, or even a small burr in the needle, or even in the head assembly. The bent needle can really only be a FRACTION off, and cause you problems that you say. The bent needle basicly will build a clog up. By turning your needle, you are releasing the tension of the build up and dispensing it somewhere else on the needle. Therefore it will run freely again. Your needle is one of the most important parts to the airbrush. I try not to handle, or touch them all that much since to me IMHO they are very fragile. 1 small nick at the tip of that, and your done. Even placing the needle into a jar with cleaner as well as removing and returning the needle to the airbrush can cause a small nick in it. Think of a fishing hook for instance. You have to Sharpen those hooks from time to time... right? Same principle applies here. Those tips of the needles can get some disfigurement very easily. Only problem is, you cant sharpen them, ( at least I havent done this yet... HMMMM??) so I would replace and try again. As mentioned in past posts. I have quite a few on hand... that way when I experience a problem, I can fix it. Also the head assemblies could have some problems in it. Be careful and I mean very careful taking the needle in and out of the brush!

Now, Here is a pointer for you with needles that have some problems with them. You take a pencil that has an erser. You basicaly erase the needle, BUT you only take the eraser towards the tip and only the tip. You can hold the needle point on its angle a little and dont apply a lot of pressure. It not only cleans it, but can keep its shape. Now be also verty careful, cause its like sharpening a knife. One small fraction off... and you are actually DULLING the knofe and not sharpening it. So try a new head and a new needle and be careful! Cody

So Corey are you saying that you are using that little cup that fits on top most of the time now? I think that would be a disaster for me, have enough trouble keeping the paint in the jar! I tried several days ago to modify the length of the tube in the jar, no change. Thanks though for the suggestion.

Cody you are scaring me cuz I haven't been "overly" careful with the needles although I haven't been particularly rough on them either. I doubt though that this is the problem as the paint reacts the same with all of my needles and has done this since day one.

I tell ya during the 10 seconds out of every hour that I get my brush to spray right it is truely remarkable. lol.

Jed

I only use the metal color cups when I airbrush. I bought four of them so that I can change the color quickly and not waste lots of paint. I can say that I frequently pull the needle out to clean it because of tip dry. I have changed the tip and the needle several times and the brush works for a little while and then starts it's little dance again and again. Come to think of it, I've had this problem since I bought it. I even had my airbrush instructor look at it and I've also brought it to a hobby shop that specializes in paasches and they couldn't tell me what was wrong. I'm still open to any suggestions for another airbrush.

Also, I keep a jar of water near. Some paint will dry on the tip fast, and a quick shot of water some time will help. Also run some water in the middle of switching colors and if you are going to pause for a min. I have also seen the same thing when I grabbed some of my wife?s craft paint that was old.

Jed is it just one color or is it anything you put through your brush?

I have not ruled out the needle, just throwing more things you can try. However it is looking more and more like the needle.

-Corey

Hmmm, that's amazing you are thinking it's the needle Corey. The needle looks ok to me...the cone is clear the tip looks fine, heck I don't know! As far as color........no it happens with all the colors although a green metallic I was spraying was the worst. Last night though I was trying to spray black....stuff was like water, stop-go, stop-go, no paint then ALL the paint.

Headed to the garage to try again, wish me luck. Oh if you hear a thumping sound, that would be me beating my head against the wall. :twisted:

Jed

Guys it is not jeds needle.

This is a single action model H the needles other than getting clogged are fool proof.

Mine is 20 years old and the only thing I have had to replace is 0-rings.

Do need a new#1 cone because I let some one else use it.

The problem is the green paint............

We all have colors that just do not spray.

It has to do with pigment size(microns).

Greens are large pigment particules.

Get some air brush paint for the green and my bet is it will flow better.

Remember this water base is the color barrel stufff from wal-mart.

This is not made for air brushes.

Good work any body who can use the color cups.

I think they are designed for spilling.

My fav. way to clear a clog on this gun is to cover the tip with my finger and blast the air.

Clears every thing back in to the bottle.

If this then sprays then stops it is the paint.

Do not try this with a color cup on.

Water dosen't cut the pigment any at all.

Corey, you are right on with the needle on the d-actions.

Rich, sorry I must have missed Jed saying it was a single action brush. Than you are right on the needle, I have had my single action brush over two years on the same needle. That is the one I have also sprayed my Etex with. So it takes a beating on the clean up. I have only replaced the o-ring in my single action.

Rich, as for the covering the tip and pushing the paint back in the paint jar. That is when I was running in the problem with paint splattering the air hole. Then I would not get the paint to move. You are correct don?t do it with the metal color cup, I have a great paint splatter hat and shirt form trying to do it. I thought, way not if I use just use little air. Wrong, little air turn into lots of air when the first splatter hit my face. Try and explain what you did when your wife is rolling on the floor laughing her @$$ off. I think some times that is why my wife likes it when I work on my lures.

I started with a cheap brush and a cheap compressor and things quickly went down the tube. Got a good brush and compressor and only see a small improvement in performance . What I think should be a 30 minute paint job takes 3 hours . Every 10 seconds or so I have to take a toothpick to the tip and clean off the dried paint . Sometimes it happens quicker. It seems to me that when I open it up to paint an entire bait one color there is no problem . Trying to get even a remotley fine line seems to be a pain in the butt . When I try to fade with the needle open I get too much overspray and larger splatter. Just thought I would add my frustrations to the pot . Now maybe I can paint with a few less four letter words flying around . The only upside is that the final product is something to be proud of. I just don't like climbing over the mountain when there is a road right through it .

I do a lot of test srapying each time I paint.

I do this on good old scrap cardboard.

I make sure the mix is right and the pattern dailed in.

Starting and stopping to check for clogs.

I make all the adjustments before any bait gets painted.

Saves alot of head aches.

Waste is very little compared to the saved clean ups, and redos.

Some times , some days I just can not paint, so I give up that day.

Smaller the pattern, finer the tip, the thinner the paint must be.

And it must be a fine pigment.

I have been using a Paasche for 10 years and did not have the problem you guys are talking about. Too thick of paint is a likely suspect, but you will know that with the first trigger pull. I keep my airburshes very clean!!!

When I am not using them the heads are soaking in thinner in a cup I modified to fit the airbrushes. Even acrylic or waterborne paints need to be soaked in lacquer thinner or M.e.K. to loosen up hardened pigment. When the carrier or water in you paints dry, the pigment is the same as lacquer or enamel and can only be removed with strong thinner. I even have an actual Spray Gun Kleener made by Kleen and Strip when the tip gets really dirty to soak my parts in. If you are getting a stutter in the airflow, this usually indicates the whole tip asssembly is not tight enough. Careful, I have cracked tips off trying to get them too tight. PM me if you still have problems......

Not sure what you mean but the tips need to be tightened. I rinse everything real well in warm water after each session of spraying and things look totally clean to me but I will start soaking the tips in thinner. Most of the problems I have been having are with the metallic colors but do have hassles with all paints. I found that by turning the PSI up to about 45 alot of my troubles have gone away.

I posted this same question on a Yahoo Airbrush Group and half the people told me it was the Wal-Mart Paint and half told me the Wal-Mart paint works fine, lol. Go figure...sounds a bit like our presidential candidates.

Thank you.

Jed