RiverMan

my airbrush hates me!

Jed,

No need to soak the tips in thinner.

Just use a q-tip with acitone on it to clean them up as nessary.

Cleans the tip, cup out just fine.

Then you can keep saoking in water.

45 psi seams a bit high.

Air blasting.

Never though of this before, but where are getting the psi rating at?

Tank, line, or just before the gun.

I have mine gauged right to the coupling of the air brush hose, and regulated right there.

Also how often is the compressor kicking in, and what is the drop that it kicks in at?

Rich,

The 45 PSI came right from Paasche and to be honest really helped things start working for me. I also met a guy through Ebay that does some of the most amazing paint-jobs I have ever seen on cranks and he told me to run about the same pressure. I will try to reduce it some next time and see what happens though now that I have thinned the paint some from what I was using before.

The psi dial is on the tank and it holds very steady so long as the tank is allowed to refresh itself. I can spray for about 10 minutes or so before it will kick in...scares me half to death everytime it does! It kicks in at about 100# in the tank and shuts off at 120.

Yessireeebobby!

Jed

I rarely ever run that high but I have had to in the past.

One thing for sure is at that psi you will have suction.

20-35 is where most of my work is done.

But the spray is well atomized at that setting.

But can you control it very well?

Over spray has to be a problem, paint has to bounce a little.

Glad you are getting some where.

"Overspray" would be an understatement Rich. The good news is that one side of my shop has now been repainted so starting today I am turning my chair to face the other way....should have the other side painted within a week or so. :P

I have been having a large amount of trouble with overspray at all air pressures, particularly when working on the belly...the beer belly. Last night though I turned the brush down to about 20# and it definitely helped reduce this problem but certainly hasn't eliminated it. I find at 20# there is fairly narrow window of where the paint is either "too wet" and hits the bait looking like water color paints or too dry and hasn't properly atomized. Things are improving though as last night I was able to keep spraying for quite some without clogs, wooohoo!

Thanks!

Jed