Kris

Daler-Rowney Acrylic Inks ?

Question for those who have used these inks in their painting ....

I read when these are used it was stated that Pledge Floor Care was sprayed on the bait to seal the inks.  Is this step necessary?  Will clear coating with D2 or KBS mess with the inks if you skip the Pledge step?

Kris,

I have used various acrylic inks and treated them no different than the acrylic paints that most of us use.  I'm using the inks inter mixed with acrylic paints in most cases. 

The brand names of acrylic ink that I'm using are "Daler-Rowney"  and another "Amsterdam" and using ETex as a top coat for most lures.

I have so far never used "Pledge" which is it self is an acrylic finish. ( pretty sure about that) The "Pledge" is probably  an unnecessary step. 

If D2 and KBS can be used on your acrylic paint without reaction I expect it to be safe with the inks.  However I would to a quick test of your brand of acrylic ink. 

Do a test and get back to the group: Just wipe a thin ink film on a price of glass, plastic what ever, let it dry then add a drop or two  of your top coat.

Edited by JimP

It probably all depends on whether the ink contains a solvent.  If yes, any topcoat also containing a solvent can cause the ink to run, including D2T if you dope it with denatured alcohol, and KBS.  As well as Pledge floor polish, you can use a clear acrylic airbrush coating to protect the paint if needed.

• Like 1

On 22.07.2018 at 00:16, Chuck Young said:
On 7/22/2018 at 12:16 AM, Chuck Young said:

If I used anything  as an intermediary  it would be Createx  Transparent base,  You can heat set it in seconds, reducing greatly any chemical interaction. 

Great advice, thank you. I think I'll use it.

• Thanks 1