dchance

Lead fumes venting setups

I am looking for ideas and simple options for a decent way to vent my lead when pouring. I currently have my pot setup in the basement on a workbench with a basement window open above me and a fan running. I am sure my futile attempts are insufficient, and am toying with fixing up a better setup to possibly exhaust fan out the window???

Interested to hear/see what you all have. 

1 hour ago, dchance said:

I am looking for ideas and simple options for a decent way to vent my lead when pouring. I currently have my pot setup in the basement on a workbench with a basement window open above me and a fan running. I am sure my futile attempts are insufficient, and am toying with fixing up a better setup to possibly exhaust fan out the window???

Interested to hear/see what you all have. 

how about a small box fan blowing thru 4 air duct with some kind of  chute near your pouring station venting it out a window or door exhaust vented out side!

• Like 1

If you using clean lead you shouldn't have much of a problem. Lead poisoning comes from ingestion most of the time and the reason is simple. Lead does not produce fumes or vapor below 1200 degrees, if you have any smell it is usually impurities and good ventilation is sufficient to carry out the fumes if you are using good lead. I get most of my lead from Rotometals , 99% pure and 3% -5% antimonial and with 2 windows open and a fan blowing in between to create good air circulation there are no problems. I had a serious illness and since then I have to have my blood checked on a regular basis and one thing I have the doctor check for is the lead levels in my blood, in more than 20 years of pouring I can say that I'm fine but, if you are melting down wheel weights or old lead pipes and other forms of scrap lead well then I'd be outside or I'd have a hood and exhaust fan. It also pays to be cautious and a good exhaust fan and hood is something I think is beneficial if pouring indoors but if you aren't pouring for 6 to 8 hours a day a shop that isn't confined with good ventilation will work as long as you are using clean lead.

• Like 3

What fumes?  At pouring temperature any fumes generated stay within fractions of an inch of the surface.  As smalljaw said you have to get the lead REALLY hot before there's a problem.

Don't lick the lead, don't eat or smoke while casting and you'll be fine.  I use a specific mug with a handle to drink out of while casting.  It sits away from the pot.  The handle keeps my hand away from the drinking surface.

I have my lead levels checked yearly and have no problems.

One more thing, if you're one of those people that sand or wire brush your lead products WEAR A DAMN MASK. 

• Like 1