dchance

1.5 attempt at a rod build

broke a BPS carbonlite on a hookset. out of warranty. I was toying with stripping the components, getting a blank and trying to build another rod. 

I tried one years ago as I had a blank given to me. Needless to say it was a damn ugly rod. I have mucho respect for rod builders. that said, the rod is still in service after several years. 

Anybody have any thoughts on this. I am not looking for a super high end rod, just something that is good for the money that would be a decent bass rod. What issues will I have with reel seat fitting if I wanted say a Heavy action rod?  Looking for advice and ideas for discussion/?????

thanks all.

• Like 1

here are a couple good blanks at a good price

http://www.mudhole.com/70-Medium-Power-OEM-Graphite-Blank-SC84M

http://www.mudhole.com/72-Heavy-Power-OEM-Graphite-Blank-SC86H

don't know what your fishing for but if it is bass the first is a good fit and anything  heavier the second will work unless it is bigol catfish.

If you want or need more  help just ask or e mail me at us2domore @hushmail.com

been building many years

• Like 1

I would scrape an old thinner rod and if doable, insert it inside the broken rod blank. Make sure the two blanks have at least 3" overlap. Might have to mess with getting the tapers right. Basically a spigot ferrule. Wrap over area for additional support. There, a repurposed rod. Have done this a few times with broken rods people left on shorelines, even made one into a 7'6" telescopic I throw wp's with.