Bigmouth

Bass Jig Rattles

Years ago I showed a prototype of a jig I was working on to Kevin VanDam.  The first thing he did was to put it up to  his ear, shook it, and said, “I don’t hear anything.”  So, I started putting rattles on.   Now that I’m considering it a production item,  I’m wondering if the  presence or absence of  rattles makes a significant difference to a potential buyer.  Opinion?

Edited by Bigmouth
Font

I sell a lot of jigs and have a request on occasion for rattles.  I also am looking for a production run of jigs with rattles. Some guys swear by them so don't care.  I am a die hard jig fisherman, and I have tried them both ways, and to me I don't see a difference. It could be a confidence thing. However, I believe finding fish and presentation is a more contributing factor to getting a bite than adding rattles. Now if the jig rattles rattled like a rattle trap, then I would use them, but all the rattles I've heard have a very subdued sound. I know sound carries in water, but I just don't use them personally. However if it works for you then by all means use them.

I use jigs a lot and I was using rattles a lot for a few years.  I used a few different types of rattles up until 2009, I like to try things and make comparisons side by side.  From 2004 to 2009 I used jigs with and without rattles and the bites were pretty much even, every now and again the jig with a rattle would do better and vice versa so I stopped using rattles as it didn't seem to make a big difference for me. Now, if a rattle gives someone confidence the same way a scent or certain color can, then it becomes important but for me the rattles weren't making any noticeable difference.

Edited by smalljaw

Thanks, Allen.  Like you, I  have fished a lot of water colors, but would be hard pressed to find a difference between rattles, no rattles.  As far a heavily stained water is concerned, I don’t have much to add.  I usually go to a big spinnerbait slow rolled past cover.