basscat28

gold plating

Cost varies from state to state and location. Years ago I had some parts gold plated at work. If you're not paying for it then it doesn't matter,  However, good gold plating is expensive, and it's done in lot charges. So if you have 10 blades or 2,000, then the cost might be the same . I found that there is always a prep fee up to a certain amount of pieces, then you pay for the gold and the time it takes to do the process. I don't have any numbers for you however, look around you may find someone cheaper that will do it in a neighboring state that may be cheaper even with shipping.

I know of Lakeland’s for blades and flutter spoons but I’m wanting to do brush spoons from a do-it mold and bladebaits. Both of which I use on Lake Erie a lot all year,especially the fall. Some days you’ll lose as high as 12 or 15. I have a powder coat that’s as good as chrome but I’ve yet to find something out there that’s like real gold. 

3 hours ago, jerkbait said:

Have used Spectrum Metal coating from Minn. on blade baits and they are reasonable and quick. They have done lots as small as 100 for me in the past. Gold will run around $0.38 per but call for quote. Family run business.

http://spectrummetalfinishing.com/

Awesome! Thank you sir! I’ll be contacting them soon. How did their gold plating turnout and last on your bladebaits?

Never had a problem with their stuff coming off while banging silver buddy baits around rockpiles and zebra mussel Sold thousands of them also and no returns. I fish Erie 5 or 6 times a year and never go out without at least one rod rigged with a blade! Let me know how they turn out and maybe we can do a bait swap or I will buy a few from you. I have a trip coming up in october.

Good Luck

On 8/8/2018 at 12:31 PM, jerkbait said:

Never had a problem with their stuff coming off while banging silver buddy baits around rockpiles and zebra mussel Sold thousands of them also and no returns. I fish Erie 5 or 6 times a year and never go out without at least one rod rigged with a blade! Let me know how they turn out and maybe we can do a bait swap or I will buy a few from you. I have a trip coming up in october.

Good Luck

Will do! 

While it might not be exactly what you hoped for do some research on gold leaf.  I seem to recall that its hard to work with and tears easily, but that some here on TU had used it with some success years ago.  If you are casting lead spoons it might or might not work well enough.  I've never done it.   I'm surprised there isn't a good gold powder coat.  At the risk of telling you what you may already know you need to check various powder coat manufacturers and venders directly to see what they have.  I thought I saw a metalized powder coat system video on YouTube a while back that had good metallic sheen in multiple colors including gold a while back.  Sorry, just going from memory here and its been a while.  

I appreciate all the input guys but I’m going through with spectrum. There’s powder paint out there there’s equal to chrome but not gold. Glitter does nothing for a reflective factor especially in deep or off colored water. It’s easier to just pour and make a bunch up and then send them out to be done and have a bunch finished for years to come. There’s days on Lake Erie you can lose a dozen spoons or blade baits for in looking for a cost effective way to do this. Gold leaf won’t work either since it’s not quite as reflective and will wear off quickly if I don’t load the spoon/bladebait with epoxy which then totally alters the vibration and action of the bait in a negative way.