robbor

Large balsa bait info and tools?

I’m wanting to make a bunch of large balsa baits from magnum spook size to wake baits.  I’m wanting to make them more production style. I’m thinking I’d like to make full one piece wire forms. 

Are any of you guys doing this? 

What wire size? Biggest I’ve seen is .102”

are you using a v block setup as a jig for drilling?

I’m even thinking of slitting for inserting the forms possibly.

and help recommend for making quality baits.  I have 3 wood lathes from small to industrial. There just all in storage and none have a duplicator 

I’m tired of paying $40-100 per bait

go_rob_go@yahoo.com

If you go with wire-thru construction I don’t see the need for such heavy diameter wire.  Anything in the .050 to .060 inch diameter range will work.  I use soft temper stainless wire from McMaster-Carr online.  It’s much easier to bend accurately and is plenty strong.  It also lets you tune the line tie without breaking the finish on the nose of the bait.  As far as wood construction goes,  Mark a center line around the bait while it is still “square” and use it to locate your line tie, hangers, and slit before you start shaping.   There are various discussions on finishing balsa baits that you can explore with the search feature.