BBK

Clear Coat

Airbrushing some walleye jigs with createx, what clear coat do you guys use? I used d2t for bass jigs but there is no way i can do that in quantity.. plus it will yellow over the light colored white/flourescent jigs from my experience. 

Kbs? That may be the best route I think, but will it be durable enough for bouncing in rocks? 

37 minutes ago, BBK said:

Airbrushing some walleye jigs with createx, what clear coat do you guys use? I used d2t for bass jigs but there is no way i can do that in quantity.. plus it will yellow over the light colored white/flourescent jigs from my experience. 

Kbs? That may be the best route I think, but will it be durable enough for bouncing in rocks? 

For durability, I have always and still use D2T. It is a tediously slow process, but the durability is second to none. Now there are a few other two part epoxies that I heard others use which I suppose are good, maybe they will chime in. I also use E-tex, which is super clear, but is more flexible than D2T and not as hard as D2T.  I guess you have to look at what you want out of it. If it is for personal use, then it doesn't matter. If it's for customers and you want a quality product then you have to look at those options. I tell all of my customers, that D2T will make white jigs a bit amber in color, and most of them don't seem to care, they say "I'll lose them before I worry about that".  I never had any returns on any jigs, that someone just didn't like. Maybe someone here has the ultimate answer and we can all learn.

• Like 1

I use this particular brand https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-200g-Epoxy-UV-Resin-Ultraviolet-Curing-Solar-Cure-Sunlight-Activated-Hard-hot/192558431358?hash=item2cd5607c7e%3Am%3AmJD-PoN2EW7s5v80hz_F3BA&var=492671366421&_sacat=0&_nkw=UV+Resin+Ultraviolet+Curing+Resin&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313.

As far as I know, it does not yellow.  It is cured with UV Flash light or sun light.  Curing with UV light will results in a tacky finish to the touch.  Put it out in the sun for 15 minutes, and it's hard like a rock.  Very little odor, just like 5 minutes epoxy.  

I also have a can of this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solarez-Clear-Casting-UV-Resin-Gallon/232860562944?hash=item3637923600%3Ag%3AX-8AAOSwg3FUbPxF&_sacat=0&_nkw=solarez+casting+resin&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

This one is slightly more runny.  Curing is the same as the above, but it is very strong in odor.  Must work outdoor.  You can dip your jigs in this one, but I don't like the fume.  I will not buy this again after it's done.  It is also hard like a rock after curing.

The reason I like UV curing is the instant cure, so you don't need a rotating device.  There is no mixing and no waste.

I picked up some cs seal coat and that seems to be working well. I will look into the UV stuff but I really need to be able to work indoors.. around here it could be 75 and 50% humidity, 95 with 80% humidity or -20 and snowing depending on the time of year.. indoors and climate controlled is the only way i can stay consistent. 

I live in Minnesota and bonce a LOT of jigs off the rocks (and crankbaits) and I use the Component Systems Seal coat. Plenty tough, easy to use, water based for easy clean up. 

"Dip and Drip" with the eye up (cleans off the hook shank with a fingernail or use a craft paintbrush from Walmart. You can clean them in water and reuse

D2T works well, but you can only do a limited number of jigs before it gets to thick.

KISS  principle!

4 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I use clear nail polish from the dollar store.  Quick, convenient (each bottle has it's own brush), and as durable as I need.  Try a bottle.  For a buck, what do you have to lose?

I'd consider this if they had big bottles and a bigger brush.  I don't have time to make 300 strokes per bait.