reecekennedy

Getting Molds Made

I'm interested in trying to make custom lures. I made a design in an OBJ file format and am trying to find a way to get  a mold made of it. What is my best options? I've tried contacting machine shops but they do not take the file type, and it seems like they need some kind of 2D file that I don't really understand. I'm very new to this. Thanks for the help.

.stp files tend to transfer from platform to platform better than .stl.  Both can be used, but .stl is intended to be a final output format.  .stp is easily editable and can be modified or used with boolean operations to create secondary geometry.  That can aid in actually making the mold.   Of course every mold maker will have their own style and method of doing things, so ask them.  

15 minutes ago, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

.stp files tend to transfer from platform to platform better than .stl.  Both can be used, but .stl is intended to be a final output format.  .stp is easily editable and can be modified or used with boolean operations to create secondary geometry.  That can aid in actually making the mold.   Of course every mold maker will have their own style and method of doing things, so ask them.  

Bob, I just love it when you talk dirty!   Hahaha

Seriously, it's great when someone who actually knows about this stuff chimes in.

• Like 1

To create the information needed to have the computer controlled cutter do the proper moves to cut out the mould shape you need a 3 dimensional design.  As said Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks software are ideal for creating such 3 dimensional design files.

The ".stl" is a sequential triangle language which in simple terms uses little triangles to create the 3 dimensional design.  This is a typical file type that 3D printers use to create plastic components of the 3 dimensional design. 

I hope this helps 

Personally I perfer the .stl format and the dimensions of the object so I can ensure proper sizing.

• Like 1